iPhone keeps asking to join wifi network

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPhone keeps asking to join wifi network

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:47 pm

Is there a way to tell the iPhone to just shut up about wifi networks? I mean other than switching wifi off?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: iPhone keeps asking to join wifi network

Post by rickj » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:Is there a way to tell the iPhone to just shut up about wifi networks? I mean other than switching wifi off?
In the WiFi settings, on the same page where you turn WiFi on and off, turn off "Ask to Join Networks" at the bottom of the page.
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:46 pm

That's a good suggestion, Rick. And if I'd thought ahead, I'd have used it.

I should have been a bit clearer. The problem was that I was at Peninsula College tonight and got presented with a number of wifi networks. I ignored all the locked ones, but, as a test, chose the unlocked one. It turned out to be the student network, and required a user name and PIN. I hit cancel, but every few minutes the screen would come back up, and I'd have to cancel again. I shut off wifi temporarily to get out of that loop.

The problem with not asking to join networks or shutting off wifi is that normally, I'd want to know about any networks and I'd be afraid of forgetting to turn the settings back on.

So my real question is how to get out of a situation where I've already been asked to join a network but don't want to.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sat May 21, 2011 5:08 pm

I don't know what you will chose to do. But when I'm in situations like that, which is fairly often, I just turn off WiFi until I'm out of the offending location.