DJ a party with an iPad

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

DJ a party with an iPad

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:41 am

Here's an interesting article in The New York Times about an iPad app for allowing party guests to queue up songs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/techn ... technology
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: DJ a party with an iPad

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:19 pm

BTW, the article I cited mentioned the Big Jambox. Costco has the small Jambox at a good price. I bought one today, and will report on its sound if I get approval for its looks. If you buy on the Jambox site, you can choose colors for the grille, top and bottom, but you'll pay $70 more than the basic black at Costco.

It comes with a nice-looking stereo audio cord, a USB car adapter and a rather large USB wall adapter. It's nice that the lithium-ion batteries charge with a normal USB connection. You could, for example, use an extra Apple USB-wall adapter, which is smaller.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:00 am

We've now tested the Jambox I bought at Costco.
It's surprisingly small, and the grille features that seem so prominent in web images are actually subtle. It's very unobtrusive.
It's plenty loud to use in our large kitchen, even with the stove fan on and our powerful hood roaring, or with water running in the sink. The sound clarity is excellent.

The Jambox charges with ordinary USB, so the small Apple charger works fine, as would any car USB charger. (The Jambox comes with a USB wall charger and car charger.) When the Jambox is off, you can connect it to a Mac with the USB cord (a standard USB-microUSB cord) and update its software, choose a voice (yes, the speaker speaks to you), and set some advanced preferences. One advanced preference is to disable the voice announcements.

Each of our iPhones paired quickly and easily. And, using the advanced settings available at the web site, you can set the Jambox up so that it can be paired to two iPhones so you don't have to turn BlueTooth off on one to get the other to work. (Note, however, that leaving BlueTooth on all the time on an iPhone will affect battery charge.)
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:47 pm

iTunes 11 now has some of the capability needed to have an editable play list, including something I've requested before: play this song next, or put this song in the queue.
Steve Jobs