Verizon Share Everything

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Verizon Share Everything

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Verizon is introducing a new plan structure at the end of the month called "Share Everything."

It seems to encompass voice, text and data, but in a quick look, I'm not at all sure we'd gain anything by switching, as compared to just adding another iPhone to our account..

Our current plan includes my iPhone 4, with unlimited data and a "dumb" phone that we'll have to replace pretty soon now. That plan costs us about $115/month.

I can't tell if adding a second iPhone would leave us at the same monthly cost or not.

Bad news: in any case, switching plans would limit our data use.
Good news: I barely use more than 10% of a gigabyte per month so we have a lot of wiggle room.
(Also, I rarely use text.)

Maybe adding iPads is a better bargain.

Any SMUG members check into this?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Verizon Share Everything

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:29 am

As far as I can tell, this new schedule is good for people with 3G or 4G iPads and an iPhone. You only pay $10 more per month to add the iPad.

Just as an example, let's say I upgrade to an iPhone 4S or 5 (in the fall) and give my iPhone 4 to my wife.

Our current Verizon bill is about $115 for one iPhone and one dumb phone. I have never come even close to a gigabyte of data in a month. And we rarely exceed the talk minutes.

To add a second iPhone today would cost us $30/month more, $145. That would give us unlimited data on one iPhone and limited data on the second iPhone. (I don't know if that'll be an option in the future.)

If instead I buy an iPhone 5 in the fall, Verizon says to keep an unlimited plan, I'd have to pay the full cost for the iPhone and just pay month by month. (I don't know how that'd interact with the second iPhone, which we already own.)

To switch to the Share Everything plan, for two iPhones, the costs would be:
$40/month iPhone 1
$40/month iPhone 2
$50/month shared data plan
$130/month total

So that'd be a saving of $15/month with some benefits (unlimited talk, unlimited text messaging and mobile hot spot) and some losses (limited data compared to current unlimited data).
That's almost exactly what I hoped for when AT&T unveiled its limited data plans. Verizon never followed suit. Or maybe this is how Verizon followed suit.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs