iMovie: How to Learn

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iMovie: How to Learn

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:37 am

The complete redesign of iMovie threw a lot of people for a loop. The good news is that iMovie HD still works. I don't know if you can find it for download any more, but I have a copy.

I haven't progressed much with the iMovie video training thing I bought, because our weather is just beginning to get good enough for outdoor photography. I'll post more about iMovie once the spring really kicks in and I get some video.

I think one breakthrough for me was the realization that iMovie is similar in design to iPhoto or Aperture or iTunes. It's intended not only to let you manipulate video, but also to store, organize and search for the video files (clips). QuickTime Player 7 is entirely unlike that.

Also, as an aside, Photoshop CS 6 will have video features built in. From the preview, it looks like it will have a feature set similar to that of iMovie, but it's not set up for storage and manipulation.
http://www.straitmac.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=609
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu May 31, 2012 1:53 pm

Here's a good overview of the video features of Photoshop CS 6:
Using the New Video Features in Photoshop CS6
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu May 09, 2013 9:27 am

I see I promised to follow up on this thread and haven't.

So, the Lumix FZ150: I love it.
I often use a Marumi DHG Macro +5 200 Achromat Achromatic Close up Lens ($56.64), which is easy to mount and unmount. The camera can use this closeup lens at all but the widest angle zoom setting, where some vignetting occurs. At full zoom, I can take phenomenal closeups from quite a distance.
The eye-level LCD is adequate, and makes photos of more distant birds or mammals possible. The fully articulated big LCD is excellent, even in sunlight.
The small-frame, 200fps movie feature is cool and does everything it claims to.

I have been shooting 30 fps video, which imports to iMovie directly.

As to software:

iMovie, at its current version, does not support 60i or 60p. But you can fool it into opening 60fps clips with a couple of pieces of software that "rewrap" the clip: ClipWrap and MovieEdit. I haven't tried either. The movie then automatically plays at half speed in iMovie. I think you can then speed it up and iMovie downsamples and plays it at 30 fps full speed. That would probably work for me, but it's kludgy.

Final Cut opens AVCHD 60i or 60p and automatically converts it to Apple ProRes for editing. (Final Cut is $300.)
Adobe Premier says it edits AVCHD natively, though I don't know if that's technically true or if it's a good idea. AVCHD is optimized for movie capture in camera, not for editing. It's apparently very easy to convert the 60 fps to 30 or 24 fps in Premier for excellent slow-motion. The thing is that because of Adobe's recent dumping of all boxed Creative Suite products, I may opt for a subscription (primarily so I get updates for Photoshop and Dreamweaver). Then I'd get Premier "free."

I don't really understand how Aperture fits in. Movies are automatically downloaded to Aperture, and I don't know whether I'd have to download them separately to Final Cut or Premier to preserve the 60i or 60p features.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu May 23, 2013 9:17 am

So to followup, I downloaded the trial version of Final Cut Pro X, and it works perfectly to open and manipulate the 60p 1080 HD movies, the highest quality my camera can do. After a few days of using the trial, I decided to spring for it (and its two companions Motion and Compressor). It's a chunk of change, but I'll make up for that by not "upgrading" to Adobe Creative Cloud.

I don't know if it's just persistence, or the fact that I finally understand the clip-oriented metaphor, but Final Cut seems easier to understand than iMovie.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri May 24, 2013 4:06 pm

I've moved any further comments about Final Cut to a new thread.
Steve Jobs