Movie Recommendation: The Pixar Story

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Movie Recommendation: The Pixar Story

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun May 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:The point I was trying to make was that Pixar couldn't have happened with the mainframe mentality of the 60s and even the 70s. What was needed was a personal computer (think desktop) with the muscle of a mainframe and NeXT was just that.
Pixar had hardware before ILM decided to sell to Jobs.
Of course they did. Now tell me this Batman, what's the name of the animated movie that pre-dated Jobs' acquisition that put Pixar on the map? Answer: Pixar was floundering in spite of a few commercials here and there. It was a post-Jobs animated movie, Toy Story that made Pixar what it is today. Jobs brought together the right hardware and software to make a niche market company the 800 pound gorilla in the world of animation. And for perhaps the only time in his life, Jobs didn't micromanage. He knew he didn't understand how to create a story, characters, dialogue and all the other things that make a movie a movie so he actually took a step back and let the creative people create.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun May 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:Jobs brought together the right hardware and software to make a niche market company the 800 pound gorilla in the world of animation. And for perhaps the only time in his life, Jobs didn't micromanage. He knew he didn't understand how to create a story, characters, dialogue and all the other things that make a movie a movie so he actually took a step back and let the creative people create.
Absolutely!

And, I think, he's been doing the same with Apple lately.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun May 22, 2011 6:09 am

I watched the Pixar Story last night (on Netflix) and agree with Stephen that it was well worth watching. But somehow this thread failed to mention another point of great interest to this club and our members. Or at least one of our members! Did you not notice the appearance early in the film of RIck Johnston's dad, Ollie Johnston!? He is shown several times in interviews featuring the "Old Men" of Disney. Check it out!