Problem with a Mac Mini

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Maryann Proctor
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Re: Problem with a Mac Mini

Post by Maryann Proctor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:33 am

Jay the kernel panic started before Mac Keeper. I added that just so I could make sure it wasn't just junk or a virus causing the problem. Sorry should have answered that sooner.

Maryann

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Your first step should be to reinstall the operating system. If the problem goes away after the clean install it will tell you that the problem was caused by a OS malfunction. If the problem stays the problem likely will be hardware related. I've seen hard drives go out on Mac minis after just a few years.

Diskwarrior and Tech Tool Pro are probably not going to fix the problem if you have a faulty hard drive. It will need to be replaced.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Maryann Proctor
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Maryann Proctor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Please remind me how to do a clean install it has been a long time since last using it.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Use your original System installer DVD that came with the computer. This should be done by someone with experience or those willing to learn how to do computer maintenance on their own. If the installer stalls or gives you an error you likely have a hardware problem, most likely the hard drive itself and the Operating System install will fail. Highly suggest you backup everything you can before you do this as you are likely to lose everything on the computer if something goes wrong.

These are the basics:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html ... /8177.html

To reinstall Mac OS X:

Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc and double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.

Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select the destination disk, select your current hard drive (in most cases, it will be the only one available).

Click Options. If you want to save your existing files, users, and network settings, select “Archive and Install,” and then select “Preserve Users and Network Settings.” If you want to erase everything on your computer and reinstall Mac OS X, select “Erase and Install.” You can’t recover erased data.

Click Continue.

Click Customize to select which parts of Mac OS X you’d like to install, or click Install to perform a basic installation (recommended).
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:51 pm

I guess my thought would be that if you can get it to start up in Safe Mode then you could do one of two things. You can then immediately download and install Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper (they're both great and they're both free). You would then use one of them to make an exact clone of your hard disk as suggested by Stephen above. After that, you can conveniently reinitialize your disk, reinstall system or whatever you choose knowing that your data are safe.

The second option would be to start up in Safe Mode and while there, create a new "dummy" log-in account (Apple Menu, System Preferences, Accounts). You would then try to restart the computer and log-in to that new dummy account. Many times the new account will be free of whatever is wrong with the System. On the other hand, this approach cannot fix an actual hard disk (i.e., hardware) problem.

But just so that I'm making things clear here, note that I would not spend a lot of time trying to repair permissions or repair the disk (with Disk Utility OR Disk Warrior). I think that you're having problems too severe for either one of them and that a new disk drive or a reformat and reinstall System is what you're looking at.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:07 pm

After reading all of Maryann's responses this sure does sound like a hardware issue. That can be expensive to fix with parts and labor. I'd still try reformatting the HD and reloading the OS. That doesn't cost anything and if the problem is corrupted systems files the reloading will fix that.

Good luck and keep us informed.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Maryann Proctor
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Maryann Proctor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:37 am

Thank you guys for all your help. I do not have time to redo this machine for several days since we are having company come but will dig into it afterward and I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again.
Maryann