Concern about my iMac

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Re: Concern about my iMac

Post by anne murray » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:45 pm

re: Disk Permissions as suggested by Jay

I have a number of statements "Permissions vary on <system/library/framework....>

ALso this message

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:10 pm

The vast majority of "warnings" in repairing permissions can be ignored. (I expect Apple to change Permission Repair a lot in Lion.)
If you've run permissions repair, you can assume it fixed anything wrong with Apple-installed software permissions.

(Note: You should always run permissions repair while started up from the drive you're repairing. That's the opposite of Repair Disk.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by anne murray » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:03 am

New event this morning - going to sleep while reading and scrolling after about 12 minutes. Followed Steve's advise to check the Console app and found the computer trying to do something with software I had on my laptop and tried to get completely rid of. The software is Intego's Internet Security Barrier of which Netbarrier is one app. Here is a screen shot of Console.
Screen shot 2011-07-20 at 11.51.50 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-07-20 at 11.51.50 AM.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1149 times
An additional wrinkle - When I woke the computer from sleep, the bluetooth connection for my Magic Mouse was lost. I was forced to restart the computer.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 am

I'm no Console maven, but it looks like you have a startup item left over from the Intego software. It's starting and failing to find a file it expects. And it's doing that over and over.

Uninstalling Intego Software: If you ever want to uninstall any Intego software, launch the Intego Installer, as explained above. Click the Uninstall Software button, then select the software you wish to uninstall, and click Uninstall. The software will be removed.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs