News from Bend....

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

News from Bend....

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon May 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Dear SMUG,
Well, I've been away for a few months and thought I would report on the state of Mac help in Bend. We've been enjoying living here in this high desert community of over 100,000 people. But in all of this vast development, there is only a single Mac store. It's an independent store not an Apple store and it's in a very nice outdoor shopping area. That store is apparently the only source of Mac help for people in the community. There are a number of "computer support" businesses in town that advertise they will help with both Macs and PC's and I have no direct experience with any of them. But we all know that hourly tech support can be pricey and may be out of the reach of many. So what other options are there?

I've now been to two meetings of the Central Oregon Mac Users Group (COMUG). They have a website and a core of about 10 members. They explained that the group formerly had as many as 100 members but they have gradually diminished. They have a website but it is not a bulletin board. Meetings are held at the president's house and usually have fewer than 20 attending. But the most critical thing that seemed lacking to me was any members willing to spend time coaching folks or fixing Mac problems. It made me realize how special SMUG is and what a benefit to the community it provides!

You guys have it good and I hope you'll keep this wonderful club humming. I miss you all!

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: News from Bend....

Post by jest2dogs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:00 pm

Good to hear your "voice".

I guess the high desert is as far different a climate from the PNW (barring the "desert" of Antartica) as one can get. When you decided to retire and get away from it all, you meant it!

Ya' know, if you have a Mac problem, there's always SMUG, a keystroke away. ;) I kinda doubt you have the notion to dive into the local club (COMUG) to revive it, after all, you are retired now.

Go forth and soak in the sun.

You are missed, of course.

-Jesse Wilson
P.S. Are you doing any "standup" at any of the local clubs? :lol:

Jim Martin
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Re: News from Bend....

Post by Jim Martin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:00 pm

We all miss you at SMUG, hope you find more Mac users in Bend. Jim Martin