Attempting download iOS9. Already confused.

Discussion of issues related to iOS 9.
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Attempting download iOS9. Already confused.

Post by jest2dogs » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:25 pm

Initially attempted wireless download on iPad but was informed I didn't have enough room in iPad.

Tonight I hard-wired my iPad to my MacBook and downloaded 450 photos to make room (it was getting rather cumbersome anyway).

Later I hooked it up again to attempt iOS9 download. An "error" occurred and I was directed to three step solution. This happened three times. (I was trying to see if it was an aberration.)

The next thing I know is a small box announces that I have not transferred recently purchased items (apps?) into the iTunes Library and I need to do this before I can continue or risk losing them.

What does this mean? And how do I do this? Is this the "manual backup" that was referred to in an earlier thread?

I'm not sure I know how to do a manual backup.

And why isn't my iPad shown in the Finder when it's plugged in?

I am very leery, having had several odd things happen lately on my iPad and my laptop is running slower than ever (the spinning pinwheel).

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Attempting download iOS9. Already confused.

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:49 am

You first ran into a problem that Apple partly addressed with iOS 9. To update by way of WiFi, the iPad or iPhone needs to download the updater, store it on the device, update, then delete the old iOS version. That takes some space. If your device is really full, you won't have enough room. iOS 9 is smaller than previous iOS versions, but apparently not small enough in your case.

The alternative is to update via iTunes. But that has its own gotcha. iTunes downloads a full restore package, which is much bigger than just the iOS update. So on a slow or moderate connection, the download can take a long time. (I have minimal DSL, 1.5 down, and a restore package takes several hours to download.)
You can use the method you chose, to offload some content temporarily, then update, then decide what to put back.

If you've purchased items from the App Store from your device, iTunes will attempt to download them to your Mac once the device is connected. Sometimes if you've deleted an app in iTunes, it will later want to download the app from your device.

Any time you plug in your iPad and it syncs, the first step is a backup. You can trigger a manual backup any time it's plugged in or on the same WiFi network. You cannot restore from iTunes over WiFi, though. If you've just plugged the iPad in and could see it syncing, there's no need to back up again.

Your iPad will not show up in the Finder because it's not seen by OS X as an external drive. Any apps that allow transfer of files will show up in iTunes in a special File Sharing section when you select the device and Apps in the sidebar. Photos are a special case, in that you download or upload photos in a photo app such as Photos, iPhoto, Aperture or Image Capture.

That's a lot of questions, so if I missed something, write back.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks Stephen.

I managed to backup, manually, the iPad, then I downloaded updates. But I hadn't figured on iOS 8.4 to be there and it downloaded that first, then iOS 9.

After downloads successful I backed it up again. All looks pretty good until I try my Free Cell game app from Goodso. The icon is there and when tapped produces a cover page then menu. Then it mysteriously closes again. I do have an inquiry to game designer as to???? But why wasn't it saved in backup? Is it because it's an app not through the App Store?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:14 am

FreeCell is available in the App Store in several versions.

If an app stops working after an update, sometimes you can fix it by deleting it in iTunes and on the iPad, then downloading it again in iTunes. (If you've paid for it, iTunes will know that, as long as you're logged in under the same Apple ID.)
Make sure it's chosen to install in the App section when your iPad is plugged in and chosen. Finally, sync.

Of course, sometimes an app will not work in a new iOS version. That should be noted in the App Store notes or reviews for the app in question.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:28 am

I received a reply from the Goodsol/Free Cell folks. It seems Apple will not let them make upgrades to their app, yet. They are working on it.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:33 pm

Goodson FreeCell Plus 1.30 ($0.99) is in the App Store. Is that the version that doesn't work for you?
If so, you might want to rate it in the App Store.
Steve Jobs