Rotate Mail Attachment

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Rotate Mail Attachment

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:03 pm

I have a jpeg picture downloaded on my computer that was take in the vertical direction. I downloaded the picture onto my desktop and it is displayed in the horizontal position. I can view the picture in Preview and use the tool bar to rotate the picture 90 degrees to view it in the correct orientation.

However, when I try to send it as a e-mail attachment it stays in the horizontal position, making it difficult for the recipient to view unless they save it and manipulate it into a vertical orientation. Question: how do I rotate the picture so it shows in the correct orientation (vertical) in the e-mail message as an attachment? I can use either Tiger or Snow Leopard Mail to send the message.

I have tried putting the picture into iPhoto, in the vertical orientation, and e-mailing directly from iPhoto, but it still comes into the e-mail message rotated 90 degrees back to the horizontal position. I am very limited in my photo apps; I do not have any Photoshop software.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Rotate Mail Attachment

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Open the photo in Preview and rotate it. Go to File menu, Save as and give it a new name. Save to your desktop or wherever it is handy for you to attach it to your email. Drag and drop your newly rotated photo onto your mail window. I was able to do this with iPhoto as well.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:29 pm

I think that Jay's comment should fix the situation (i.e., "Save As"). The only thing I can imagine why this didn't work in your first case was that you somehow did not actually "Save" the rotated picture or that you accidentally used the original instead of the saved one. Once "saved" an altered image should stay altered.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:42 pm

JerryFreilich wrote:I think that Jay's comment should fix the situation (i.e., "Save As"). The only thing I can imagine why this didn't work in your first case was that you somehow did not actually "Save" the rotated picture or that you accidentally used the original instead of the saved one. Once "saved" an altered image should stay altered.
In iPhoto, if you rotate an image in Edit mode, you merely show the photo rotated in the iPhoto window. You exit Edit mode and save a rotated copy of the original by doing one of the following:
click Edit
double click the image
click the Photos button
click one of the other thumbnails

I was able to duplicate the problem with the following steps:
1. Rotate a photo
2. Choose Share > E-mail from the menu or click the Share button and then E-mail
Though the photo was in a vertical orientation in the iPhoto window, it showed up horizontal in the e-mail.

Once I saved the rotated image by exiting Edit mode, the photo stayed rotated in the e-mail.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Jay, I (just now) tried your Save As technique in Preview (rotated-new name), then to the desktop and dragged to the e-mail. It did not stay rotated to the vertical position. Jerry, I did give it a completely new name so I know I was using the Saved As version. However, this may be because I am using an old version of Mail in Tiger. I haven't tried it on our new laptop using Snow Leopard Mail.

In the meantime I found a work around. I rotated the pic in Preview and took a snap shot (Cmd 4) and put that snap shot into the e-mail and that worked fine. The quality seem quite fine. I sent a trial to myself and attached the original horizontal pic and the rotated snap shot version. Within the e-mail message I could not see a difference in the quality. If I saved it and tried to enlarge it then, maybe, a difference in quality would be visible.

Stephen, I have not tried your iphoto suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestions. I suspect your ideas may work in the newer Mail/Snow Leopard versions.