Ghost in my iPhone

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Ghost in my iPhone

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:42 am

So here's a puzzler, and I wonder if any SMUG member has seen anything like it.

We had a phone call yesterday with my son, who we talk with a couple of times a month. We usually do a three-way call, and set that up yesterday. Then my wife's iPhone 5 lost the call.
She came outside to sit on our walkway beside me and I turned on speakerphone. Her iPhone was in her pocket. I was holding my iPhone 6 in my hand.

Then, suddenly, the normal call screen disappeared, and a contacts search screen appeared. The call didn't stop. I figured out that the tiny type in the green bar was saying "Tap to return to call." I just assumed I'd accidentally touched something on the screen.
Then our mic was muted. I unmuted and figured I must have wrapped my thumb around and touched the mute button. I held the phone very carefully and watched my fingers.
Then the contacts screen came back. There were three 7s in the search field. I carefully deleted them and as I watched, *444 appeared.

So we tested a few things:
Maybe the phone was in the sun, and that was an issue. So I carefully set the phone down on the deck in the shade. Ghost taps continued.
Maybe my wife's phone was somehow still on the call, in her pocket. She took it out, and I used the multitasking bar to kill Phone.app. Ghost taps continued. Note that at this point, both of our phones were sitting on the deck with no hands in range. Karen's phone was on lock screen.

We wondered if Siri was interpreting our conversation as commands, but that doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't that cause problems in all phone calls?

Its a mystery to me.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Ghost in my iPhone

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:56 am

I just saw this problem again. I was on speaker phone and not holding or touching the phone. The mute button got clicked.
I see some reports on the web of such problems at various times in the past. Most reports show the problem occurring in many apps, but I've only ever seen it in the Phone app, and only on speaker phone.

I'm trying a restore now, assuming that AppleCare would tell me I had to do that in any case.

I do have AppleCare until September, so if the restore doesn't fix the problem, I'll probably drive to Tacoma.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs