iPhone mail deletion

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

iPhone mail deletion

Post by jest2dogs » Mon May 18, 2015 12:10 pm

I have a 5S with 16Gb. It is updated to 8.3. I neglected to keep up with email deletions which is par for the course since I have three devices and three accounts, though only two are on the iPhone.

My issue is how to delete emails en masse. I marked all in one account "inbox" as "unread" to get an idea of what I was up against. It was about 2,600 plus (I forget exactly). So, I hit the "edit" icon and began tapping the open circle next to each entry. I trashed about 500 emails and came to the end of the list! ???

I went to "trash" and then deleted all in that folder. Then I returned to inbox and it began loading 187 more emails. I "trashed" 187 emails, then deleted them from the trash folder. I returned to the inbox which now said it was empty. However, on the menu, "Inbox" still indicated 2,140 pieces of unread mail. And on the "Home" screen the mail icon has 2,140 plastered across the top edge. All related mailboxes, drafts, sent, trash, junk and inbox all indicate "no mail".

I have also just changed the settings in Mail to not "push" and to manually retrieve rather than fetch.

So,why does the phone still indicate I have 2,140 unread emails? And yes, I have cycled the phone off/on in an attempt to reset it.

Label me "puzzled".
-Jesse

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone mail deletion

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon May 18, 2015 3:23 pm

If you set up your Mac to check this account, even temporarily, you can move all the mail to the On My Mac section. This will remove it from the iCloud server (or other), and it will no longer show on your iPhone.

An alternative is to do the job after logging into iCloud on your Mac.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Mon May 18, 2015 4:34 pm

I don't use the cloud. Perhaps I am still in the Stone Age. Perhaps I am non-trusting.

I do know that mail, once downloaded from my server to the laptop, is no longer available to the iOS devices (except , perhaps, via the cloud...which I do not utilize...). I have been attempting to edit mail at the server site before downloading, or making available to iOS devices.

But why does the iPhone still show 2.140 unread messages, yet there are none in the inbox?

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Mon May 18, 2015 4:51 pm

Also...
Is there a way to delete mail from an iOS device en masse? On the laptop I can highlight with the cursor and drag the cursor down the list in a continuous movement, highlighting all in its path. Then with a click of the "Delete" key, it's gone. On iOS devices each email must be marked individually for the trash. Once in "Trash" it can be deleted by a tap of the key.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue May 19, 2015 6:29 am

I don't use the cloud. Perhaps I am still in the Stone Age. Perhaps I am non-trusting.
It doesn't make much difference whether you use iCloud or an ISP. Some server has your e-mail stored on it for some period of time.
If you have a POP account, you can log in via the web interface and mass delete. Or, as I suggested above, set up the account on your Mac, then do the management. Then, if you only want to see the e-mail on your iPhone, just deactivate the account on your Mac.

For my ISP POP accounts, I use a setting to store e-mail on the server for a week after downloading, just in case I delete something by accident.
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Tue May 19, 2015 2:05 pm

I have a POP account with Olypen (my ISP) and have my Mail preferences set, like Stephen, that after downloading my mail it remains on the server for one week. My trash folder is set up to delete the messages I put in the trash after I quit the session with Mail. And, like you, I can select several or all junk messages and throw them into the trash folder with one click. This is how it works on my computer.

On my iPhone 5c, with iOS8, I have to select each message individually and then when all are selected (checked) by hitting the trash button they all go to the trash. I do not have to do a second round of deleting them out of the trash folder, they go when I quit/exit Mail. I was told by Olypen that there is not a command, like on the computer, to "select all" or be able to drag and highlight several messages and then delete them together.

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Tue May 19, 2015 11:08 pm

My email is deleted from my server once I download to my MacBook. Last time I checked my server there were about 500 emails that had not been downloaded to MacBook. That is not 2,140 (unread) emails that my iPhone says I still have on my phone. I deleted over 500 emails that were "current" on the iPhone. So why does the phone still show... Well, please look at the pictures I've attached. Maybe that will better explain my dilemma.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 3467 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (915.13 KiB) Viewed 3467 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed May 20, 2015 6:17 am

Here are some leads I found googling "iphone mail shows too many"
Let us know if either of these works.

Here's how to mark all and set all marked to read.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159634 ... -3g-issues

Here's a tip to turn off the badge icon entirely. This is how I have my iPhone set, but mainly because 1. I rarely do e-mail on my iPhone and 2. Even with very small numbers, I saw the same problem that the badge icon wasn't up to date.

http://osxdaily.com/2014/04/29/hide-unr ... -icon-ios/

And a third tip:

When an e-mail is moved from the server to your Mac, it no longer shows up on the iPhone. This is true even if the mail is moved by a rule in Mail. So set up rules for any mail you don't want to see on your iPhone, so that Mail moves them to a folder as soon as they arrive.
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Wed May 20, 2015 12:54 pm

Stephen, et al,

I isolated the problem.

Even though I had deleted all those emails, at some point I had marked them all as,"Unread". I went to the Inbox, selected Edit then chose to mark "all" as read (even thought there were only a few new emails in the mailbox.

Voila! The 2,140 designation disappeared. I still,don't know why it was recording or remembering that many.

Stephen, I will review those links you posted, thank you.

What did you mean by "turn off the badge icon entirely". Do you mean turn off email?

BTW, I got a hint of whatnots happening by looking at the differences between my iPad and iPhone email menus.
iPad has an extra category mailbox labeled "Unread" ! The iPhone does not. Both are equally updated as far as I know.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed May 20, 2015 6:56 pm

What did you mean by "turn off the badge icon entirely". Do you mean turn off email?
No. That setting just means that you won't see any little number in a red circle on the Mail icon on your iPhone, even if there is new mail. But you also won't see any little number that remains after you've viewed the e-mail.
Steve Jobs