Printing Question: Scaling

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Printing Question: Scaling

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:16 pm

So I was showing Grandma how she could "xerox" a page from an e-book with her iPad, for example, to hand out to a book-discussion group. You use the two-button screenshot feature, which produces a .png graphic.

Printing direct from iPhoto cuts off the edges of the image. I can't seem to find any way to scale the image. And there's no Page Setup menu (where you can also scale images).
If I choose a paper size and a smaller print size, I get a shrunken image that's still cut off at the edges. I grasp that, in iPhoto, this is an issue of the aspect ratio. Trying to solve this with some older directions:
7. Click the “customize…” button; you’ll be taken to the “printing” page
8. Click once on the photo to pop-up a zoom-in or out slider.
9. Click on the hand icon to choose how you’d like the image cropped.
—If you don’t want iPhoto to crop the photo at all, control click on the photo itself and choose “fit photo to frame size” from the menu.
10. Click Print.

But, while this shows an image of the image fitting, and uncropped, it still prints cropped.

Opening the image in Preview yields a better-fitting print--nothing's cut off--but I still can't scale the print. There's a scale button and field, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Scaling the view doesn't make a scaled print.

In Photoshop, I can scale to 50% and print fine, but Grandma doesn't have Photoshop.

Any tips from the SMUG brain trust? Maybe a super-simple graphics app that would allow easy and fully functional scaling, highlighting, easy circles and arrows, etc.

By the way, this is all because there's no text copy feature in iBooks, Kindle for iPad or OverDrive for iPad. Presumably this is to avoid copyright hassles.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Printing Question: Scaling

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:12 pm

At least in my iPhoto '11 print dialog box, I am able to change the Print size to 8x10 (see screenshot).

That reduces the image size just enough so that nothing gets cropped when the page is printed.

Hope that helps,
;)
Attachments
Screenshot 02.jpg
Screenshot 02.jpg (101.61 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:19 am

I drag the screen-shot into an Excel workbook page and resize the image via the Formatting Palette or grabbing the corner handles and dragging it smaller to fit within the margins. I set all of the workbook margins to zero. I forget if Excel will accept a .png file. If not, I do a save-as in preview and save it as a .pdf file.

I use this same technique to create picture albums. By resizing the photos on the workbook page I can place multiple photos on the page with captions either in a cell of the workbook or using the text box tool, and then I can move the caption anywhere on the page; on the picture, under the picture, etc. I also use the formatting palette to enhance the color, contrast, or brightness of the photo. This is a quick and simple way to create photo album type pages.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:30 am

You can also scale and center very easily in Graphic Converter ($40).
In Safari, you can scale but not center. That's likely the way to go for Grandma because it's free. Graphic Converter is also too complex.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:44 am

Huh. Tried this again in iPhoto and it worked.

1. select screenshot image imported from iPad
2. select Print
3. set paper size to US Letter
4. set print size to 5x7 (presumably custom sizes would work too)
5. Print
Steve Jobs