Apple Security Faces Biggest Test in 2015

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
bluesky
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Apple Security Faces Biggest Test in 2015

Post by bluesky » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:32 pm

"All computers wait at the same speed."

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Apple Security Faces Biggest Test in 2015

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Not to nitpick, but, well, here are some nits:

That's an evergreen story. Every year is a new security challenge for Apple.
Yes, someone at a hackers club claims to have "discovered a way of recreating a fingerprint without a physical sample," based on a closeup photo of a politician's finger. This is the same group that claimed to hack an iPhone with a jelly candy impression of a fingerprint last year.
But I haven't read of a single instance of anything like this happening in real life. It's an interesting bit of information for Apple engineers to worry about, but nothing else. http://www.electronista.com/articles/14 ... .impacted/

A much bigger risk with fingerprint detection is that it won't work for the authentic user on a given instance and will prove an embarrassment at a store or an airport. I've disabled the password on my iPhone 6 temporarily because fingerprint detection became unreliable in the cold weather as my fingers dried up.

Yes, Apple's a bigger target than ever for hackers. There have been some claims of thieves accessing iTunes accounts.
But the real danger to Mac users is still social engineering. Someone asks for your password(s) and you say "Sure, here you go! Now when will my beautiful Russian bride arrive?"
The e-mails trying to get you to give away personal information are using new techniques to avoid spam detectors. Some are more slickly produced than in the past. Some are using names of real companies. I've never seen one I didn't detect in a glance.

The same old SMUG advice applies:
Turn your crap detector up to 11.
Never click on a link in an e-mail unless you're 100% sure who it's from and are expecting the e-mail. (Even friends' e-mail address books can be compromised.)
If you're ever not sure about an e-mail, ask on the SMUG forum or ask a trusted expert like Dave or Jerry or another SMUG old timer. Or type in the URL of the site named. Or call the friend on the phone.

A couple of claims in the article I find silly:
1. If you buy something from Apple, the bad guys know it and will go on a phishing expedition. I spent an embarrassing amount of money on Macs a few months ago and have not gotten any Apple phishing attempts. I've seen Apple fakes in the past, and they're always random in timing. The whole point of phishing is sending out huge numbers of e-mails hoping for one sucker fish. (The article points this out.)

2. Claim: Apple returned from the dead because Microsoft failed to address security.
Reality: Microsoft continued to dominate the world of computer sales all though Apple's resurgence--and right up to today--even though they never seem to be able to stick a finger in the security dike. Or maybe they're too busy diving into their money bin.
Apple ascended from the dead because it brought Steve Jobs in from the cold. Jobs and his advisors envisioned the Mac as a digital hub. Before the iPhone. And, they stuck with the 1984 corporate philosophy of making the best personal computer they could. Mac sales have been slowly increasing for years because of the iPhone and iPad. And this year's retina iMac is a breakthrough product.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

bluesky
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by bluesky » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:59 pm

I simply posted a link to an article I found interesting. I leave it up to the reader to form their own opinions. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations.
"All computers wait at the same speed."

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:59 pm

bluesky wrote:I simply posted a link to an article I found interesting. I leave it up to the reader to form their own opinions. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations.
I appreciate posting of articles. My post was just an idiosyncratic comment.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs