Annoying glitches in Yosemite

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Annoying glitches in Yosemite

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Here's another constant nagging annoyance since my Yosemite upgrade. I get this screen message at odd intervals.... never predictably. It just pops up. Not every day. Just every few days and for no apparent reason. I have logged in an out of iCloud multiple times, checked all my settings, opened it closed it, rebooted, logged in and out. What the heck is THIS all about?
Attachments
iCloud_BS.jpg
iCloud_BS.jpg (27.75 KiB) Viewed 2259 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:27 pm

When you see this, can you access the internet, for example some reliable page such as The New York Times?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:27 pm

Yes, you can simply dismiss that box by clicking "Later" and do whatever you want to do. Why do you ask? I've also tried going to iCloud.com on the web, entering my password and looking at the settings. Everything is in order there. I've tried logging in and out of iCloud.com on the web to see if anything was amiss. Nothing seems to be. I have explanation for why the stupid "Problem" message still keeps popping up at odd intervals every few days.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Going back to my previous issue with needing to login to every website each time I visit.... I've deleted cookies and reset Safari a number of times already and this seems to have no effect. I think (need to double check) that Firefox and Chrome are also behaving the same way.... requiring a new log in each time. I'm beginning to wonder if the issue has less to do with the browser and its cookies and more to do with Keychain, another application which I hate, mistrust, and have always had to fight with. I wonder how (or if) the browsers summon Keychain when they want to login each time. Let's just say that when I DO login to each of these sites that I type a single letter in the login box and immediately a Keychain (or Keychain-like) little pop-up appears offering the correct name and password in each case. The process is quick and easy. But of course the question is why is this happening at all?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Yes, you can simply dismiss that box by clicking "Later" and do whatever you want to do. Why do you ask?
Just wondering if it was a temporary non-connection issue.

I wonder why iCloud and olypen are in the same sentence.

If you look in Mail > Preferences > Accounts, is it possible that you have olypen as the outgoing server for your iCloud account? I think your ISP's outgoing (SMTP) server should be set for all accounts except iCloud. (For me, that's my olympus.net account and my eugraph.com account.) For iCloud, you want iCloud incoming and iCloud outgoing.

For some odd reason, I had to do some resetting of outgoing and incoming servers related to olympus.net last week. I have no idea why, but once set, all seems well. I also had to "always trust" olympus.net's server.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:17 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if the issue has less to do with the browser and its cookies and more to do with Keychain, another application which I hate, mistrust, and have always had to fight with.
I think Keychain's trustworthy, but it sure is complicated. Some posters on Macintouch say they keep everything in Keychain, including encrypted notes.

With some patience, you can delete the keychain entries for the severs you're having problems with and then reenter them.

I've also had to delete Autocomplete entries in Safari for some Apple sites because old, outdated passwords kept being inserted.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:33 am

Stonefly@olypen.com is the name of my Apple ID. I assume that's why it's in that "iCloud cannot connect" box.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:33 am

JerryFreilich wrote:Stonefly@olypen.com is the name of my Apple ID. I assume that's why it's in that "iCloud cannot connect" box.
This brings up another complication of iCloud.

In days of yore, when I started using the predecessors of iCloud (before MobileMe), Apple issued accounts with the username = free Apple IMAP email address. Mine's stephenhart@mac.com, username and e-mail address.

Now Apple will not let you use the iCloud e-mail address as the user name, but the user name must be a validated e-mail address. This is presumably so they have some way of contacting you if iCloud isn't working. (Once used in one Apple ID, those e-mail addresses cannot be used in another Apple ID.

If you look in Mail > Preferences > Accounts, then select your Apple e-mail address, you should see something like this:
Attachments
icloud.jpg
icloud.jpg (13.77 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Yes, that's what mine says.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:56 pm

-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.