Annoying glitches in Yosemite

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Annoying glitches in Yosemite

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Bob Wiswell wrote:Over the years I have never been able for the SMUG site to "remember me". I was told by one of the gurus to just never log out. So that is how I have been handling it for the SMUG website for, at least, the last five years. I got tired of having to login each time.
If you click Remember Me and don't log out then when you come back the SMUG Forum remembers you and you're automatically logged in. If you log out when you leave then yes, you WILL have to log in again manually. Just don't log out and you'll be good to go when you return.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Also, notice the line at the bottom that says who's using the forum. Even if you don't log out, you're not shown as using the forum.
I think the only utility of logging out is to make sure that no one else using your Mac can masquerade as you on the forum.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I DO have Safari and Firefox set to accept cookies from sites I visit.
When I log in to sites, after I type the first letter of my username, Keychain offers to complete the name and password and these are always correct.
No, I do not log out of sites after I visit them.

I will keep trying this with other sites and other browsers. I will also try this in a dummy login (which I should have done earlier) and will report the results back here.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:25 am

Just after posting that last I saw that Notifications was asking if I wanted to do an update. Check this out!!!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 11.25.10 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 11.25.10 AM.jpg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Safari 8.0.1 was apparently pulled pretty soon after it was released.

Let us know if the new update fixes your issue.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Occasionally, typing is slow in Mail. I'll type a few characters, and it'll be a second before they appear. Restarting Mail fixes that.
This is still an ongoing issue for some folks. See this Apple Support Communities discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/message/2 ... 6#27251711

Typically, this acts as if Mail was doing something in the background. Typing is normal, then a character or two won't appear on screen. Then it'll catch up. Sometimes typing a space will get all the characters. Sometimes if you close the draft then open it again, typing will be normal for a while.

Is anyone else in SMUG seeing this?
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:50 am

No change in the situation with signing in to websites. Each time I access a site, I must re-enter my name and password despite this having always worked perfectly for more than 10 years up until now. When I come to the SMUG Forum, for example, I see the "User Name" and "Password" spaces blank and waiting to be filled in. Typing the first letter of my username causes the little "Keychain" box to come up offering to fill in user and password for the site, which it does immediately and correctly. The little "remember me for next time" box is also blank... so after filling in my name and password each time, I click that little box. Again... that has no effect.

Annoying and inexplicable.

Here are two further annoyances I've been dealing with:

1. On our family iMac running Yosemite, my wife's Dock somehow became corrupted. Clicking on the little "Finder" smiley face in the Dock would open a window that had recently been accessed, but not her Home directory. Don't know what they're trying to do here, but in every previous version of OS X clicking the Finder icon in the Dock would take you to a view that you had set previously... either "All My Files" (which I hate and find very confusing to users) or the "Home" window. In Finder Prefs the setting is "New Finder Window Show.. [Home Directory]." Interestingly.... when in the Finder, clicking on the menu for "New Finder Window" brings up the Home Directory just as it should. It's only the little "Finder" smiley face in the Dock that brings up that past-used folder. I used a Terminal command to "Killall Dock" which did reset the Dock. It's possible the problem is cured now but I will need to keep trying it.

2. Several people I've been working with have had older versions of OS X on their machines (typically Snow Leopard, 10.6) and want to go to Yosemite. In theory and according to published info, this should be no problem provided the machine being upgraded has at least 4 GB RAM. However in each of the cases I've observed (four as of today) going to the App Store and clicking on the "Get" symbol for Yosemite results in a hang. Nothing happens. No progress bar. No error message. I've tried logging out of the App Store and logging back in with a valid Apple ID but there is no progress. Nothing happens.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:24 am

Each time I access a site, I must re-enter my name and password despite this having always worked perfectly for more than 10 years up until now. When I come to the SMUG Forum, for example, I see the "User Name" and "Password" spaces blank and waiting to be filled in.
It sure sounds like you are not storing the cookies you want to store.
Go to Safari > Preferences > Privacy and review the settings there. The default (and what I have checked) is Allow from websites I visit.
If you click the little Details... button, you can see all the cookies. For example, straitmac.org should be listed there.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:26 am

1. On our family iMac running Yosemite, my wife's Dock somehow became corrupted. Clicking on the little "Finder" smiley face in the Dock would open a window that had recently been accessed, but not her Home directory.
Finder > Preferences > New Finder windows show: [user/home folder name]

Clicking the Finder in the Dock will open a new Finder window only if no Finder window is already open. Otherwise, it'll just switch from whatever app is frontmost to the Finder, and show whichever Finder windows are already open.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:36 am

2. Several people I've been working with have had older versions of OS X on their machines (typically Snow Leopard, 10.6) and want to go to Yosemite. In theory and according to published info, this should be no problem provided the machine being upgraded has at least 4 GB RAM. However in each of the cases I've observed (four as of today) going to the App Store and clicking on the "Get" symbol for Yosemite results in a hang.
You can try the link on the Yosemite web page.
http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade ... wg-mac-com

Sometimes the App Store appears to get overwhelmed. Then an engineer feeds it a Valium ™ and it recovers. I've also seen other glitches in App Store, including wanting me to download updates several times.

10.6 is necessary, I think, just because it has App Store.

Karen has Yosemite on her Peninsula College mini, and it has only 2 GB RAM. It has been very poky at times, but not always. I'm going to run DiskWarrior on it and see if that helps. It may slow down when it's doing Spotlight indexing or Time Machine backups or something.
There are people on Macintouch complaining of Yosemite being slow, but almost always in a ranting tone and without details. Our experience has been excellent on three Macs. The mini is the only one where it seems as if Yosemite is slower than Mavericks.
I'd say 4GB is the practical minimum, and would recommend 6 or 8 if feasible. Also, the hard drive should be in good shape with some free space.
Steve Jobs