No audio when burning a video disc

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Jim Ude
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

No audio when burning a video disc

Post by Jim Ude » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:33 pm

I have a .avi file that was emailed to me. I can open and view the file with VLC app and see the video with audio on my iMac, no problem. QuickTime can not play the file.
I want to burn the file to a cd or dvd but when I do only the video gets encoded and playable on the disc. Toast encodes it to MPEG4 for the video but it says "Audio: none". When I play the disc I only see the video and no audio. Any ideas?

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: No audio when burning a video disc

Post by rickj » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:37 am

Can VLC do the conversion? I took a quick look at their homepage, and saw the line "Can do media conversion and streaming." You might also look at Flip4Mac. Maybe the original sender could re-save the file in a different format. I don't follow the Windows world all that closely, but I have the impression that AVI is kind of an outdated format.
Rick

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:21 am

Do you use Toast to enable play on a DVD player or do you just want to copy the file to disc? Why not just drag the .avi file on a CD or DVD without using Toast?

I use the free app, Handbrake to covert files to formats my Mac can read. https://handbrake.fr

Macworld has a tutorial.
http://www.macworld.com/article/2098964 ... ricks.html
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Jim Ude
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Jim Ude » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks for your replies! It looks like the VLC conversion is "not suited" for file to file but best for streaming conversions.

I "thought" Toast was set to play on a DVD player but maybe not. I didn't even think of dragging the file on a DVD, I've always used Toast. I've looked at Handbrake in the past but have never downloaded the app and tried it. For now, a windows guy handed me a DVD with the file and it played fine on a DVD player ( I tucked my proud Apple-tail and said thanks.) So for now, moving' on...
Thanks Rick & Jay