Stop Update download

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Stop Update download

Post by Bob Wiswell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:26 pm

By mistake iOS 8.1 started to download/update on my iPhone 5c when I was downloading some photos. I don't want to go there, yet. The only way I could quickly find to stop it was to switch on AirPlane mode. It says I can resume to update when I connect to wifi.

How do I clear/stop this update? I don't want iOS 8.1 right now.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Stop Update download

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:10 pm

It probably downloaded automatically because you have automatic updating turned on.
Did you perform this rash action while the update was being applied? If it was just downloading, then you can ignore it.

iOS 8.1 doesn't have any fearsome bugs. In fact, it seems to have fixed some, and added ApplePay capability. (ApplePay doesn't do anything unless you opt to verify credit cards. This includes the one you use for the iTunes Store and your Apple ID. You have to verify that too.

If you're worried only about the gigabytes taken up by the downloaded installer, let us know. There are ways I've seen on Macintouch to delete the download.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Thanks Stephen. I stopped the download, not the install. Maybe I'll go ahead and finish the download. As I understand ApplePay, it only works on iPhone 6 with fingerprint ID. I am on an iPhone 5c.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Bob Wiswell wrote:Thanks Stephen. I stopped the download, not the install. Maybe I'll go ahead and finish the download. As I understand ApplePay, it only works on iPhone 6 with fingerprint ID. I am on an iPhone 5c.
Yes, you're right.

If the next time you sync, you find your iPhone overfull, let me know and I'll see if I can find how to delete the download you don't want.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:46 pm

I am in the process of installing 8.1. My phone isn't overloaded or anything like that, I was just waiting for the kinks to be worked out in 8.1. I haven't even synced in my iTunes library yet. Maybe now I will. Just hope I don't run into the problems Jerry F. has been having. If so, I'll be back on the forum asking how to go back to iOS 7.