desktop folders.

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: desktop folders.

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat May 28, 2011 7:44 am

JerryFreilich wrote:I'm a little puzzled why ANY of this should be going on with a new Mac. As we all know, when you open the box and take it out, it should work pretty much perfectly and they usually do....
I think there are two issues in this thread. First is that sandylu needed to make some adjustments in System Preferences. Richard solved that problem.

The second is that Richard tried to use a TechTool Pro DVD as a boot disk, and it didn't work. I don't think that indicates any problem with the MacBook.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: desktop folders.

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat May 28, 2011 7:52 am

JerryFreilich wrote:I'm a little puzzled why ANY of this should be going on with a new Mac. As we all know, when you open the box and take it out, it should work pretty much perfectly and they usually do....
To quote Sportin' Life, "It ain't necessarily so." My first Mac (an iMac G4 purchased in 3/02) was acting stupid right out of the box. I reformatted the HD and reloaded the OS and then all was well. Somehow the OS was incorrectly copied onto the HD. You probably remember the old days when there were banks of HDs that would be formatted and loaded with the OS automatically. That system wasn't perfect and my iMac was one of the whoopsies.

Within the last 12 months I bought a reconditioned Macbook from Apple thinking that the Apple techs would have been on it like white on rice. It refused to load programs and then would boot only about half the time. The other times I'd have to play games with it to get it to go to the desktop. I called AppleCare within 24 hours and after doing a couple of things over the phone the AppleCare techie said, "It's DOA." They sent me a return box and shipping label and gave me a full refund.

These two examples in no way negate the fact that Apple builds great products that are usually defect free and "...work pretty much perfectly." But even Apple can have some problems on the line.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.