New Pages

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: New Pages

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Kirsten Ruhl wrote: Because of this comment by Stephen and also because of the comment in the following post regarding not deleting the old iWork 09 folder, I am reluctant to update my Pages from 4.3 to 5.1.

I'd like to be sure if this: If I click on that update tab to go to Pages 5.1, I would want my my Pages 4.3 (=09) to automatically stays intact for further use.

Can I count on this?
Yes, but having both could get confusing in the long run.

If you do open an old Pages 4.3 created document in Pages 5.1, make changes and then attempt to Save, you will be presented with the dialog box shown below. If you choose "Upgrade", then the document can no longer be edited in 4.3, but if you choose "Edit a Copy", then you will have two different copies of the same document ... which you will have to keep track of somehow.

Personally, I just Upgrade all of my old Pages documents, and in that way they will be compatible with Pages on my iPad. I have found no negative consequences so far.

;)
Attachments
Pages '11.png
Pages '11.png (263.68 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:26 pm

By the way, there is another very good reason to keep Pages '09 around.

Here is the dialog box you get if you try to open an old Pages '05 document in Pages '11.

;)
Attachments
Good Reason.png
Good Reason.png (28.47 KiB) Viewed 2839 times

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:30 pm

Very, very useful information from both of you, Stephen and Ray!

I now dare proceed with the upgrade after all. (And I will keep Pages '09 on hand for old stuff.)

Thank you.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Ray Bentsen wrote:By the way, there is another very good reason to keep Pages '09 around.

Here is the dialog box you get if you try to open an old Pages '05 document in Pages '11.

;)
There's another good reason. The new pages won't export a clickable table of contents to PDF. If you need to export a clickable table of contents, make sure you create and/or update your document in Pages '09.
Rick

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Ray Bentsen wrote: Personally, I just Upgrade all of my old Pages documents, and in that way they will be compatible with Pages on my iPad. I have found no negative consequences so far.
;)
Ray, have you tried a "complex" document (let's say: 20 pages or more with graphics and TOC and footnotes) created in Pages '09 and now opened in Pages '11...

Just curious before I try it.
Actually I think I will use "save as" with a new name for one of my "precious" documents in Pages '09 and see what happens if I open it in Pages '11. That way I will know that I have the original format still in case it goes all haywire... Oh, me of little faith...

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:57 pm

Kirsten Ruhl wrote:Ray, have you tried a "complex" document (let's say: 20 pages or more with graphics and TOC and footnotes) created in Pages '09 and now opened in Pages '11... Just curious before I try it.
Kirsten,
No, I have not. You are the official Strait Mac User Group Pages '11 Complex Document Tester. Let us know what happens with your document in Pages '11

:)

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:30 pm

Kirsten Ruhl wrote:
Ray Bentsen wrote: Personally, I just Upgrade all of my old Pages documents, and in that way they will be compatible with Pages on my iPad. I have found no negative consequences so far.
;)
Ray, have you tried a "complex" document (let's say: 20 pages or more with graphics and TOC and footnotes) created in Pages '09 and now opened in Pages '11...

Just curious before I try it.
Actually I think I will use "save as" with a new name for one of my "precious" documents in Pages '09 and see what happens if I open it in Pages '11. That way I will know that I have the original format still in case it goes all haywire... Oh, me of little faith...
Smart lady! Experiment with a copy and keep the original intact just in case something bad happens. I guess you could always retrieve the original using Time Machine but why risk it.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:07 pm

Okay, I started a little bit to test complex document in Pages '11.

Immediately ran into a major obstacle:
Where in Pages '11 is my whole wonderful styles drawer? :cry:

Right now I have half a mind to forget about Pages '11 and expect that they will improve it anyway after a bit.
I function so comfortably with complex issues in Pages '09.

I do not mind having to learn a whole new system if I have to and if it can do things, but I am skeptical of Pages '11 being quite up to snuff as yet. So, I my conclusion is to stay with Pages '09 for a while.
The issue of ease going between iPad Pages and desktop Pages does not apply to me as of now since I do not use an iPad.
I like big screens and a mouse. I like familiar processes so I can focus on my contents.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Apple has said that Pages 05 is a work in progress. They plan to make major changes over the next several months.

If you don't need to have full editing capability on OS X and iOS 7, I'd say stick with Pages 09 for the time being. You should never willingly switch software versions in the middle of a project anyway.

I also echo Ray's kudos for working on a copy with a new name.
Back when I was writing professionally, I'd end up with a dozen separately named documents before turning something in to an editor. After an article was in print, I'd throw out all but the final edits.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks, Stephen for your most recent post in this thread.
I am glad to have my gut feeling confirmed that for now I am best served staying with Pages '09.
Can always change later.

Thanks also to you, Stephen and to Ray and Richard for reinforcing the idea of guarding documents in progress by a combination of working with copies, saving older versions etc. I think I have this concept covered because I am petrified of losing any well-constructed document I am working with. (I also back up on external hard drive.)
Some of these precautions I have learned over the years from helpful Forum and Mac Club people. :D