Scan App?

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Scan App?

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:15 am

I have my first Mavericks casualty. It's the scanning software that came with my HP Photosmart D110 3-in-1. I've had this printer for several years and it works great. The HP utilities were excellent until Mavericks. I can't scan anymore. The file that's saved is just black.

I've already contacted HP about it and they politely laughed at me. It's more than a three-year-old printer and they have no intention of upgrading the utilities. For the record, it still prints under Mavericks and even wirelessly, but the scanning utility is shot.

I used to use a program called VueScan which is a terrific program but my license has expired and the publisher wants another $39.95 to renew it. We all know the price of printers these days and I just don't think it makes sense to spend $40 on a software license to use on an old printer when I can apply that $40 to a new printer with newer features and the newest software.

So my question is, does Mavericks have a scanning app? I can't find one. I don't mean a screen capture app I mean putting a document in the scanner and controlling the scanner. If Mavericks doesn't have one does anybody know of a freebie scanning software program that's compatible with HP on a Mac?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Scan App?

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:05 am

I'm seeing the same issue, and on two scanners.

HP Scan.app operates my scanner, a Scanhjet G4050, but produces a corrupt file when sent to any destination. At one point, I thought I found some files saved by the scanner, and those opened. But it's possible I may be confused. There's no way to set a preference for where those original files end up, and I'm not sure I can duplicate the way I got the app to save them.
Googling for this produced some hints that the Automator actions HP Scan.app uses may be at fault, especially one step called Change File Type. I don't know enough about Automator to try to fix that, however.

My Canon MX882, just a year or so old, also can't scan because a utility file won't open. I assume that'll get fixed pretty soon now.

HP has been notorious for abandoning printers and scanners after very short lives. We've dumped a photo printer and an all-in-one for this very reason.
It's no wonder HP has had serious business troubles.

VueScan is widely recommended, but I agree that it only makes sense for high-end photo scanners.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:33 am

The Mac comes with an app called Image Capture that can capture images from all kinds of imaging devices, including scanners. It's in the Applications folder (at least it is on my Mac- I may have moved it there from the Utilities folder at some point). I'm using it with an Epson printer/scanner under Mavericks.

There's a possibility that it requires up to date drivers from the scanner manufacturer. But (at least in Stephen's case), drivers don't seem to be the problem. Image Capture handles things like processing, setting file types, and choosing destinations.

It would be worthwhile to try Image Capture before buying VueScan. But I have to say that VueScan has extended the life of many a scanner for me over the years.
Rick

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:47 am

Rick, I don't care what all those others say about you. You really are smarter than the average bear. That works for now and I thank you.

Just before you posted your suggestion I found another workaround which is what Image Capture does in just one click. I found that I could follow System Preferences to Printers & Scanners to [My Default Printer] to Scan to Open Scanner and then I'm off to the races. Image Capture takes me there with one click.

This is still a less than perfect solution because I no longer have all the editing features available as I did in the HP utility. But I can drop the file into iPhoto or Aperture and fix it up there.

VueScan is a great program but $40/year is a little steep for me. Image Capture will take care of things until I really need to buy a new printer/scanner.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:50 pm

In researching, I found both suggestions above.
The problem I have is that Image Capture doesn't detect either of my scanners. That means that Photoshop doesn't either (as it uses Image Capture). I guess System Preferences also uses Image Capture. None of these see my elderly HP scanner or the scanner in my Canon all-in-one.

By the way, System Report sees both devices. I don't see any way to get Image Capture to rescan.

If I could get this to work, it'd suit my needs, as I nearly never use HP Scan.app for anything but an initial scan to Photoshop, though the OCR and OCR over PDF are useful.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:56 pm

When I opened Image Capture my printer wasn't there. But there was a grayed out SHOW button I clicked and my printer magically appeared. Then I clicked on my printer and all was good.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:21 pm

After downloading some Mavericks software from Canon, I discovered that the Canon MX882 requires a USB wire for the scanner, even if the printer is connected with ethernet. Whoda thunk it?

Now Image Capture sees the Canon scanner and so does Photoshop and System Prefs. Unfortunately, Photoshop captures the scanner and keeps other apps from using it. That can be worked out by quitting Photoshop. (Damn! Any app last used "owns" the scanner.)

Also, apparently now all the Canon software thingys work, including send to e-mail. It's a horrible interface, but better than nothing.

Still no love with the HP G4050. I guess I'll give HP a while, then send it to Goodwill.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:13 am

I have fixed this issue, but the solution is a bit odd.
On my hard drive, I found an HP Scanner Install.app.
After running the installer, my Hewlett-Packard folder has two HP scanning apps, the one that doesn't work, HP Scan.app, dated 2010, and HP Scan Pro.app dated 2007.
HP Scan Pro.app works fine. It does not corrupt the image files. It's a bit clunkier looking than HP Scan.app, but has most or all of the features.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:42 am

So the older app works and the newer one doesn't? That's unusual.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:52 am

Richard Serkes wrote:So the older app works and the newer one doesn't? That's unusual.
I suspect that it has to do with the Automator workflows used by the newer version of the software to save and send files to other apps. The first action in each workflow is Change File Type. That's a non-universal action (whatever that means) that's probably out of date for the current Automator. I don't know exactly how to fix it, but will fool around a bit.
OK, it turns out that Automator actions are built in Xcode, and some are embedded in apps. So they're not really accessible (to me, at least) for tinkering.

I guess that the older HP Scan Pro.app uses another method to open scans in apps.

I can also now scan from the Canon MX882 in Image Capture or directly in Photoshop or Preview (via Image Capture engine).

I almost never used the adjustment features of HP Scan.app anyway, so I'm back in business.
Steve Jobs