Free Storage Expiring

Discussion of issues related to iCloud, Apple's "cloud" service designed to store and sync your music, photos, apps, calendars, and documents
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Free Storage Expiring

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:39 am

Dear Stephen Hart,
As a thank you for being a former MobileMe member, you received a 20 GB complimentary storage upgrade when you moved to iCloud. Your upgrade expires on September 30, 2013.
When it expires, your iCloud storage will be automatically adjusted to the free 5 GB plan. You are currently using XXXX of storage.
For more information, see this article.
The iCloud Team
$40/year is the cheapest upgrade, which will get you back to what you have now, if you upgraded from MobileMe.

BTW, we're pushing the envelope on 5 GB just using the most basic iCloud syncing. We have nothing extra stored there, and don't leave photos or big files stored on iCloud. I'll be looking closely at this in the near future. (I don't know how iTunes Match interacts with iCloud in this case.)

BTW2, Dropbox is an alternative if you need to share documents, photos or even videos, within your family, your small circle of friends or more publicly. For us, Dropbox has been flawless.

BTW3, If you use iCloud for major photo sharing, note that Flickr's new plan gives you 1 TB free.

BTW4, Don't expect any of these services to be your primary (or only) backup strategy. These are for sharing, not backup.
Attachments
buymore.jpg
buymore.jpg (26.79 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Free Storage Expiring

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Checking into this before the end of the free 20 GB, I find that I was wrong before. Also, the procedure to sign up to autorenew is a bit, shall we say, nonintuitive.

If falling back automatically to 5 GB on September 30 is not what you want, you have three choices: 10 GB ($20/year), 20 GB ($40/year) and 50 GB ($100/year). But to set any of those up, you need to choose "Downgrade Options." That apparently means your options for when the auto downgrade occurs. It does not mean your options for downgrading right now (from 20GB).

Any changes take place on September 30, not immediately, so you won't lose even one month of the free 20 GB.
Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences, then click the iCloud icon.
Click the Manage button.
Click Change Storage Plan.
Click Downgrade Options.
Enter your Apple ID password, then click Manage.
Choose a different plan to use when your complimentary storage plan expires on September 30, 2013.
Click Done.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5527?view ... cale=en_US

I picked the 10 GB option, as we're using less than 1 GB now. I can always upgrade later.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs