Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Apple Support Robo call?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Apple Support Robo call?

Post by Bob Wiswell » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:06 pm

I have received eight robo calls, today so far, from "Molly" at "Apple Support" about a breach of security of my iCloud account. "If I would like to speak to a representative of Apple Support press 1". "If I would rather hang up now, press 2" (weird). I don't press either, I just hang up.

Anyone else out there receiving these specific iCloud breach calls? I am assuming this is a spam/phishing call. Anyone know if there has been a breach of iCloud accounts?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Apple Support Robo call?

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Hanging up is the right thing to do.
I don't think Apple would ever call a customer in this way. And they certainly wouldn't try to get you on the line with such a transparent trick as to ask you to press 2 if you want to hang up.
The only exploit I've ever heard of against iCloud was simple phishing: the perps ask for your password, then use it to break into your account.
Even when you are talking with an Apple representative, and are logged in to an iCloud account, and the rep can see that you're logged in, they are exceedingly careful.

On the other hand, Apple has been in the news a lot recently in a negative light.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:43 am

I also got deluged by calls from Molly. Just hanging up is smart but I got tired of being smart and decided to press 1. The first thing I said was I wanted to speak to Molly. The guy on the other end of the line was confused. I told him that Molly had been calling all day and I was returning her call. "Please put Molly on the line."

Turns out she was busy assisting other iCloud users and couldn't take my call but this fellow who answered would help me. I said that would be OK. Then I said I didn't have an iCloud account (that was a porkie) and didn't want one. He hung up.

Molly hasn't called back.

I know it isn't smart jerking the chains of these jerks but sometimes you just have to waste some of their time. It does feel kinda good.

Now if I could only convince "Microsoft Tech Suppot" that I don't have a Windows PC and really don't need help with the problems they've detected on my computer things would really quiet down around here.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:15 am

Richard, I would also like to throttle Microsoft tech support. Earlier I was able to stop them when I told them I was a Mac user and didn't use windows. They would hang up. Now they say, "we can help with that also". You can't win.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:20 am

It would be fun to answer such calls with AI, including one of those exceedingly fake voices we hear in spam calls.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:30 am

I got a call once where the real human did everything possible to make me say YES. They record these calls and even if you decline their "services or product" they send it anyway and if you complain they claim you said YES. Editing audio files is easy. So I kept asking for more information and used words that suggested either interest or not but I never said YES. I could tell this guy was getting more and more frustrated because I wouldn't say the magic word.

After a couple of minutes of wasting his time he used an expletive and hung up. Obviously he's not a Dale Carnegie graduate.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:53 pm

I had another person tell me to be careful and never say the word yes, even on the robo part of a call. Sometimes when I am not sure if it is a recording/robo call, when they say, "how are you?", I say terrible or I'm sick and when the voice just charges on, I hang up.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Another solution is to use an answering machine on your land line. If a caller doesn't want to leave a message, or detects an answering machine, that tells you a lot.

On my iPhone, I get several spam calls a week. If the caller isn't in my Contacts list, I silence the ring.
Steve Jobs