Time Capsule

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Photo Jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Time Capsule

Post by Photo Jeanne » Fri May 20, 2011 12:55 pm

I have a Time Capsule that I'm trying to get to work with the new Mini. It will start up, but never completes the connection thru the Air Port. Since I'm so new to Macs, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Time Capsule

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri May 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Have you tried checking with AirPort Utility.app?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri May 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Moderator's Note: This topic was moved from the iPad sub-forum to General Discussion since it deals with a Time Capsule issue rather than an iPad issue.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri May 20, 2011 4:18 pm

When I bought an Apple Extreme and an Apple Express they didn't want to "talk to each other." A quick call to AppleCare connected me to a techie who had me open the Airport Utility and click a box. From that point on everything was perfect.

Don't hesitate to call AppleCare for things like this. The cost is built into the price of your new Mini and Time Capsule.
---

Photo Jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Photo Jeanne » Sat May 21, 2011 12:11 pm

I opened Air Port in the Utilities folder. It automatically searches for new devices and then can't find the Time Capsule. I have the Air Port ID for it and would enter it manually, if the darn Air Port would let me... Now what? There must be a step I'm missing, but I sure can't seem to find it.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat May 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Try this. Unplug the Time Capsule for a few minutes. This will cause it to do a hard boot when you turn it back on. Before you plug it back in, move it to the same room as your Mini. Having them on the same desk is even better. Sometimes the initial sync requires that the two be in very close proximity.

If you get them to sync using the Air port utility then you can move the Time Capsule back to where you want it.

By the way, you didn't say if you were using the Time Machine as your I'Net router or just for backup. Which is it?

And don't get mad at me for asking this, but do you have Air Port turned ON on your Mini?
---

Photo Jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Photo Jeanne » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:15 am

I thought I should finally let everyone know what I did to fix this. I called Apple. They were very helpful and led me step by step to the solution. When all else fails, call someone who really knows what they are doing. Now if I could just get my husband's email working, we'd all be in good shape.

Thanks for the help.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 am

Photo Jeanne wrote:I thought I should finally let everyone know what I did to fix this. I called Apple. They were very helpful and led me step by step to the solution. When all else fails, call someone who really knows what they are doing.
I assume this is directed to Stephen. ;)
---