Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Enthusiast iPad Pro 10.5

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
richardcovert
Forum Member
Forum Member

Enthusiast iPad Pro 10.5

Post by richardcovert » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 pm

An enthusiast are you?

I've been using my tablet for a few months. I still use an Android Nexus 7 but iOS 11 and my 10.5 is a step up. Using iCloud drive to sync with my iMac extends the scope.

Ulysses, MindNode, Things 3, Day One, Gladys and Spark are among my favorite apps.
  • Ulysses is a markdown text editors
  • MindNode mindmapping and outlines
  • Things 3 a reminder to-do app
  • Day One journal
  • Gladys a shelf app — yoink works too
  • Spark my current mail app
Usually, I use WordPress the browser version but the iPad specific app is getting useful.

What are you using?
That is one way of looking at it. There are others. — Wrede

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Enthusiast iPad Pro 10.5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:49 am

We recently converted a large folder of recipes (with many subfolders) to Pages (and some PDFs) and keep the folder in iCloud. That way we have recipes available in the kitchen for instant referral and, importantly, modification. Previously the recipes, accumulated over decades, were in a hodgepodge of Word, Pages, TextEdit, PDF. Mostly we didn't edit them except on the Macs.
Of course, they're all equally available on our Macs.
The iPad normally lives on a buffet adjacent to the kitchen, but we also have window sills large enough to hold the iPad securely and at an excellent height right next to the mixer and stove. (I built the sills for potted plants.)
The only downside is the streaks of butter and shortening that get on the iPad. But Wipe 'n' Clear fixes that.

We took the iPad on a trip to Mt. Rainier summer before last, and it functioned well as a laptop (email, reading news) wherever we had WiFi. It didn't function as well for photos, as it appears you cannot download only some photos from a camera card. It seems as if it's all or nothing when you connect the card.

We have some Science/Nature apps: Molecules, The Elements, Molecules, In Action, iBird Plus, Sibley Birds, Reptiles and Amphibians, Insects&Spiders, WA Flowers, etc.
Lots of iBooks on the iPad, and I do a bit of reading on it. We also read a lot of news on the iPad: New Yorker app, New York Times, Washington Post, and Apple News.

I'm a long-time fan of Tintin, since the days when our children were young, and have all of the available albums (English) in the Tintin app. The images are beautiful, but unfortunately they're all new English translations which are inferior to the original American editions. http://tintin.eugraph.com

We also have used the Art Authority app quite a bit. This is probably much better the larger the iPad.

I bought a number of drawing/painting apps, to see which one I liked best (Procreate), but haven't spent the time I need to with the Apple Pencil.
Morpholio Trace, Paper, Concepts, Notability, ArtRage
Attachments
IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0238.jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 732 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

richardcovert
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by richardcovert » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:37 am

Stephen, the iPad is working for your family. A few notes inspired by your post.

I've stuffed recipes into Evernote for years. They sat in the format I captured them. I tried a mass move into Ulysses. It choked on some of the files. Changing them to PDF format would have been an excellent idea.

Besides Merlin, I also use iBird. Various Sibley volumes occupy our bookshelves. Cornell's videos on YouTube are fun.

Encrypt.me (VPN) sees use on "public" WiFi — morning forays for breakfast, planning, and information gathering. The app has been flakey of late. The developers claim they fixed the problem. ...time will tell.

I did not know about Tintin. But apps that keep my mind moving tend toward audiobooks and a few games. Kindle too...

We listen and read on the library's apps Overdrive and Hoopla. Audible comes into play if the library does not have a recorded book.

Simple games such as Freecell make the list of frequently played. But I bought Pandemic a version of the classic cooperative board game. ...well pleased.

Graphically challenged, I use Phonto and Pixelmator for web art. They see less use now that I play with a site design that does not encourage images or graphic fanciness. (Phonto's power is hidden and can do much more than add text/labels to photos.)

:)

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:55 am

I forgot to mention that we also use the iPad Pro to stream Apple Music to our living room stereo AirPort Express.
Steve Jobs

richardcovert
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by richardcovert » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:41 pm

I was listening to Mac Power User https://www.relay.fm/mpu/archive

They had a program on iOS settings. As a new user I grabbed the settings for magnifier. Took off the free app I had downloaded and started using Apple’s.

Recently, I figured out I can use text replacement to quickly entry of symbols. ⌘ ↑ ← and the like.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:36 pm

richardcovert wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Recently, I figured out I can use text replacement to quickly entry of symbols. ⌘ ↑ ← and the like.
How did you set this up?
Steve Jobs