Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Apple reduces price on iPhone batteries

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Apple reduces price on iPhone batteries

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:23 pm

84C6885E-C8BD-47BB-B875-F81307915DBA.jpeg
84C6885E-C8BD-47BB-B875-F81307915DBA.jpeg (235.27 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Apple reduces price on iPhone batteries

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Here's the link to the letter:
https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

Here's the link to iPhone Battery and Performance (linked in the letter)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208387

I was affected by the recent iPhone battery recall, and Apple smoothly replaced my iPhone 6s with a brand new one.

It may be legitimate to claim that Apple should extend or expand their warranty for batteries that are not defective, as they have now done.
But it's nonsense to claim that Apple was trying to force people to upgrade. This has been debunked over and over in the press. In fact this nonissue goes back to before the iPhone.

1. Processing power goes up (Moore's Law)
2. Software developers, including Apple, take advantage of the faster processors in newer Macs, iPhones and iPads (and all other computers) to deliver functionality and application speed that users want.
3. Go to 1.

It would be ridiculous of me to complain that my retina iMac, top of the line in late 2014, won't run the latest version of Final Cut Pro X as fast as the new iMac Pro. It would be beyond ridiculous for me to say Apple forced me to spend 5 grand on a new iMac. (I haven't.)

But that's exactly the argument of one of the latest lawsuits. "Apple forced me to spend more than $1000 because my iPhone 6 was running slowly." In reality, any user with that problem, if it was battery related, could have spent $80 for a new battery (installed), or a couple of hundred for an iPhone 6s or iPhone 7, or $750 on a new iPhone 8 (which will do almost everything as fast as an iPhone X) or barely less than $1000 for a 64GB iPhone X.
And, as Apple's letter notes, it'd be hard for anyone to even notice if their iPhone was running slowly, except if they were running benchmark software, or perhaps some games.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:22 pm

iFixit has dropped its price for battery-replacement kits, matching Apple's new price:

https://www.ifixit.com/Kits

Note that you have to do the dissection yourself, and if it doesn't go back together properly, you are responsible. I know of one iPhone user that made his own repair and slightly misaligned the face of the iPhone on reassembly, causing stress. It cracked, then shattered.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:18 pm

Here's an explanation of how lithium-ion batteries work, and why Apple had to make some engineering choices for older, but not defective, batteries.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/01/ ... -over-time

Also, some people are reporting that at least some Apple Stores are replacing batteries on iPhone 6 and newer with no questions asked and no diagnostic test.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Imagine the bad PR if even a couple of iPhones had shut down unexpectedly during an emergency call and Apple could be blamed for not managing battery life.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:21 pm

iPhones eligible for $30 battery replacement: 6, 6s, SE or 7.

Apple Stores appear to be doing this, but may put you on a wait list. (I haven't seen any indication that Apple will do this by mail, let alone with "express" service (where they replace your iPhone, place a hold on your credit card, and you send yours back).

You must get this done in 2018, at least at this price, at least so far.

I doubt if anyone getting this done would notice a difference, unless they've really stressed out their battery.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:43 am

Stephen Hart wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:21 pm
Apple Stores appear to be doing this, but may put you on a wait list. (I haven't seen any indication that Apple will do this by mail, let alone with "express" service (where they replace your iPhone, place a hold on your credit card, and you send yours back).
Actually, you can mail it in. Apple will send you a padded box with a prepaid shipping label then after repairs will return your iPhone to you with no additional shipping charges. The downside is they warn you you'll be without your iPhone for 3-5 business days. As for the express service I couldn't find anything one way or the other about it and the $29 replacement program.

My iPhone 6+ hasn't given me any problems whatsoever but for $29 I'm going to get a new battery rather than wait for problems to start. I bought my 6+ in September of 2014 so battery problems are going to happen sooner rather than later.

Call AppleCare to make sure your iPhone qualifies and then ask for the mail in option.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Actually, you can mail it in.
Good to know. I hadn't seen that in print.

The last time I used the express service--the iPhone 6s battery recall--I had to argue a bit to get express service, pointing out that traveling a minimum of 4.5 hours round trip without even knowing if the battery would be in stock was unreasonable, as was having my iPhone out of use for a week. (Note that this was a recall, not just a price reduction.)

Getting the battery replaced this year is a very good idea, unless your eligible iPhone is pretty new.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:31 am

I'll wait a couple of months to get our batteries replaced. The closest Apple store to me states "This location has no available reservations."
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:51 am

FYI, the Best Buy in Silverdale will not replace iPhone batteries though some other Best Buy stores will.
-----------------

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:49 am

Just a follow up to what's been happening. I requested a new battery at the reduced rate on 1/22/18 only to be told that they were out of replacement batteries and I would be contacted as soon as new batteries were available. On 4/4/18 I received an email from Apple telling me that they had new batteries in stock and asked me if I still wanted to do the replacement. I called them on 4/5/18 to say YES and a shipping box was sent overnight via FedEx that arrived on 4/6/18. That afternoon I dropped off the iPhone at a FedEx depot and off it went to Apple.

Because of the weekend the iPhone won't be delivered to Apple until 4/9/18. Apple has promised me a five-day turn around so I should have my phone back by Friday of that week (4/13/18). All I have to pay is the $29 replacement fee and applicable taxes. Apple takes care of shipping and handling both ways.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.