Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Charging a Fitbit

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Charging a Fitbit

Post by Bob Wiswell » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:53 am

This is sort of Mac related as my Fitbit Alta HR syncs with my iPhone. The Alta comes with a USB connector on one end of the charging cable. I know, and have charged it by plugging it into the USB slot on my MacBook Pro. My question is: Can the Alta be charged (safely) by connecting the USB connector into my iPhone charger rather than into my laptop?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Charging a Fitbit

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:17 pm

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Flex-2/ ... -p/1884284
Note the moderator's response. That should be the most authoritative.

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/ ... ticle/1799

Note that the small Apple iPhone chargers are 5W. iPad chargers are 10W or 12W. Car chargers vary, so you should check.

As far as I can tell from these sources, Fitbit is not like iPhones, which can use any charger, and in fact charge faster with higher watt chargers.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Charging a Fitbit

Post by Bob Wiswell » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:17 pm

The moderator says, "....an approved USB charger with a 5.0V @ 1.0A output, it will work ..". My iphone charger says it is 5V @ 1.0A output which confirms your 5W comment. If I remember correctly, Watts equals Volts multiplied by Amps which matches 5V x 1A = 5W. So, it looks like the iphone charger will work but not the iPad charger.

Thanks Stephen.