I can't turn my MAC off/blinking arrow-help anyone?!!

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
LCARDEY
Forum Member
Forum Member

I can't turn my MAC off/blinking arrow-help anyone?!!

Post by LCARDEY » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:40 am

I don't know what even caused this in the first place and forgive me if I don't use the right terminology (still learning the MAC and lingo) but my arrow/pointer is continually blinking and I can't even shut my computer down to restart. I have no functions. I've tried everything I can think, even when I closed the lid for a while and it is still on and still doing the same thing. I hope I don't have a virus. Can anyone help? Thanks, Laura (from the Staitmac user group).

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: I can't turn my MAC off/blinking arrow-help anyone?!!

Post by rickj » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:45 pm

LCARDEY wrote:I don't know what even caused this in the first place and forgive me if I don't use the right terminology (still learning the MAC and lingo) but my arrow/pointer is continually blinking and I can't even shut my computer down to restart. I have no functions. I've tried everything I can think, even when I closed the lid for a while and it is still on and still doing the same thing. I hope I don't have a virus. Can anyone help? Thanks, Laura (from the Staitmac user group).
My first guess is that one of the keys on your keyboard is stuck down. Is there any key that looks like it might be stuck? If so, try wiggling it. It's possible that there is some software problem that is making the Mac behave as if there is a key held down. Restarting might cure that. In your situation, you will probably have to hold down the power button until the Mac shuts off.

Do you have any peripherals connected to your Mac, especially over USB? You might try unplugging them and restarting to see if that helps.
Rick

LCARDEY
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by LCARDEY » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:26 pm

I tried already to hold the power button down for a while, a few different times, and still doesn't shut down. I think there may be a CD in the CD slot, but I can't even eject it because I can't even put the blinking cursor over anything with any response. It does act like it has a key stuck, but I don't see any keys stuck down. Any other suggestions?? Thanks, Laura

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:54 pm

When all else fails, just pull the plug.
;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Ray Bentsen wrote:When all else fails, just pull the plug.
;)
Uh Ray, it sounds as if she has a laptop so pulling the plug won't help. But wait, it just might.

LCARDEY, pull the plug and wait for the battery to go down. Sooner or later the battery will give out and you can then plug it back in to restart it.

If you've bought it within the last 12 months then it's still under warranty. Call AppleCare and let one of Apple's techies help you. This sounds more like a hardware issue than a software problem.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:34 pm

To force a shutdown, you may need to hold down the power button for a while. There's no danger of holding it down too long.
If that really doesn't shut down the MacBook, you need some in-home help, or you need to take the MacBook to an Apple Store. I've never heard of a Mac that can't be shut down with the power button.

If you can shut down the MacBook with the power button, wait a little while, then to the following:

If you have a wired mouse, hold the mouse button down
If you don't have a wired mouse, press and hold the bottom edge of the trackpad

Now press the power button for a couple of seconds. Keep that mouse or trackpad button down during the restart.

This should force eject any disk in the CD/DVD slot.

Let us know what happens.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs