Concern about my iMac

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Concern about my iMac

Post by anne murray » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:02 am

I purchased an iMac in January and am having problems that seem to be related.
First the computer occasionally goes to sleep while I am working at it.
Secondly, I am sometimes unable to awaken it when I have been away from it for awhile. I am forced to restart the computer with the power button.
Thirdly, the computer has failed to recognize the wireless modem connection several times - always asking me what network I want and for the password.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I purchased it from The Mac Store in the U DIstrict.

Thanks.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Concern about my iMac

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 am

Go to Systems Preferences/Energy Saver, take and post a snapshot of that window. I'd like to see the exact settings you've selected. Also, you can click the Restore Defaults button to set everything back to factory settings and then re-set your preferences to see if that fixes things.

How many bars are displayed for your wireless connection? Is the modem password protected?

We're going to need some more information to work through these problems.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by anne murray » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:13 am

Let's see if this screen shot is loaded properly. I just dragged it into the window. I recently changed the "Put computer to sleep" setting from "Never" to its current setting.

I don't know what you mean by "How many bars are displayed for the wireless connection. Yes, the password is protected. I've used it for years on my other computer.

/Users/anne/Desktop/Screen shot 2011-07-14 at 12.09.56 PM.png

anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by anne murray » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:20 am

I don't know how to get the screen shot to you since we changed servers. The preferences checked are
1. Wake for network access
2. Allow power button to put computer to sleep
3. Automatically reduce brightness....

Both computer and display are set to go to sleep after 45 minutes.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:53 am

anne murray wrote:I don't know what you mean by "How many bars are displayed for the wireless connection. Yes, the password is protected. I've used it for years on my other computer.
How many bars can you see once you've logged on?
Attachments
wireless.jpg
wireless.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:59 am

anne murray wrote:I don't know how to get the screen shot to you since we changed servers.
Here's where you can go to on our SMUG Forum for an excellent explanation on how to attach files. I don't know what you mean when you say you changed servers but let's leave that for another thread.
Attachments
info.jpg
info.jpg (49.77 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:55 pm

In addition to the other questions, I wonder what, exactly, you mean by "while I"m working on it." Do you mean using the keyboard, mouse, watching a movie, etc.
If you're just reading, you might call that "using," but Energy Saver won't agree. Still, 45 minutes seems like a long time to read without any input.

Do you see the screen darken before the iMac sleeps on its own? You should, if this is any kind of "normal" sleep.

Does the computer always need to be started with the power button after an attack of narcolepsy?

Is there any pattern you've noticed to when it sleeps? Is there any sound you notice before it sleeps?

Can you duplicate the issue if you log in as another user? (You can set up a temporary Test user for this, and there's no need to set a password on that account.)

Can you duplicate the issue if you start up with an external drive?

Is it possible that the power is going off for that particular receptacle? Or is it possible that you're touching the power button, say, while adjusting the screen angle?*

* I only say that because I put my iMac to sleep twice during a Skype call recently, by inadvertently touching the power button while adjusting the screen angle.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by anne murray » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Below is an answer to most of Steve's questions. I don't think logging in as a different user will teach me much because the problem is so random and fairly infrequent.

When the computer goes to sleep, I am using the keyboard and mouse.

Do you see the screen darken before the iMac sleeps on its own? You should, if this is any kind of "normal" sleep. NO.

Does the computer always need to be started with the power button after an attack of narcolepsy? NO.

Is there any pattern you've noticed to when it sleeps? NO. Is there any sound you notice before it sleeps? NO.

Is it possible that the power is going off for that particular receptacle? Or is it possible that you're touching the power button, say, while adjusting the screen angle?* NO.

Onward.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:25 pm

Try this:

Open Disk Utility, Go menu/Utilities

Select your disk in the list at the left, and then click First Aid.

Run Permissions, wait for it to finish.

Click on Verify Disk. Do you get any errors?
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:53 am

I don't want to be a doomsayer, but this sounds like a hardware problem.

Here's one suggestion I found on an Apple forum on random sleep:
Check for increasing temperature. If the iMac is getting too hot (or thinks it is), it will put itself to sleep. Note that this doesn't necessarily mean when you're using some heavy-duty app.
You can download the free Temperature Monitor. Set it up to keep records and then look at it after you see the sleeping behavior. Does it show increasing temperature? Another check for the same thing is to start up Console.app right after the sleep event and scan through the system logs and see if you find any intelligible comments.
You might also look occasionally at Activity Monitor to see if you note any runaway processes.
BTW, did you migrate all your old apps to the iMac?

Here's another post from a user who had a logic board replaced by the U Village store because of random sleep after upgrading to 10.6. (I assume your iMac came with 10.6 preinstalled.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs