Mac App Store Question

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Mac App Store Question

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:57 pm

I purchased Aperture via the Mac App Store for convenience and the discounted price. Doing it this way also allowed me to load it not only on my iMac but also on my MacBook. The original purchase was for v3.1.2.

I saw online that there was an update to v3.1.3 so I went to the Apple website to download the upgrade thinking I would then load the upgrade on both computers but having to do the download only once. The upgrade was 292mg. When I tried to load it I received an error message telling me that since I had made the original purchase through the Mac App Store I couldn't use the download and would have to upgrade via the Mac App Store.

Here's where it gets confusing. The upgrade via the Mac App Store is 605mg. That's a little more than twice the size of the upgrade download from the Apple website. Do you think the Mac App Store actually downloads and installs the full application rather than just the upgrade files?

And yes, I had to go through the 605mg download process for the other Mac. Fortunately I have DSL service. But even so it isn't very fast and each download took about 1.5 hours plus the 292mg download that had to be sent to the trash.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Mac App Store Question

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:29 am

From what I've read on Macintouch, Apple's treating Mac App Store purchases as separate products, so they may be upgraded differently.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs