App Store Glitch

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

App Store Glitch

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:32 pm

For me, at least, the App Store has been flakey all day, not being able to connect to the update server. iTunes 12.6 appeared one time in the Updates section, then it disappeared. Early in the day, iTunes told me there were no updates, then later told me there was an update, but didn't fetch it.
Maybe the update server system is just being hammered.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: App Store Glitch

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Apple supposedly re-released iTunes 12.6 today, apparently removing a nonfunctional option intended for a future feature.

But I'm still having App Store dysfunction. For a few days, the app Notability has been showing as an available update. It would never download. Then it disappeared. Now it's back, but still won't download. iTunes 12.6 is not listed as an available update.

[3:14 PM]

Just got home and find that App Store is now downloading normally. There was a power outage while we were gone, so my iMac did reboot.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: App Store Glitch

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:58 pm

App Store finally downloaded and installed Notability (a Mac companion to the Notability app for iOS).
It also downloaded iTunes 12.6, showed it as recently installed, and got stuck at the first few seconds of "Installing." iTunes 12.6 was really previously installed.

A little search on the web found this suggestion, by far the simplest way to clear a stuck install in App Store, so I tried it first:

Quit App Store
Start Activity Monitor find and kill softwareupdated
Restart App Store

Now iTunes 12.6 was shown as an available update. I clicked Update and the Installing progress bar appeared, and the install progressed normally.
The only problem left is that App Store shows iTunes 12.6 twice as recently installed.

Any improvements (besides the announced rent once view on any device)?
Well, there's a step backward, IMHO: a new, harder-to-read progress circle for downloads.
Attachments
progress.jpg
progress.jpg (1.53 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Steve Jobs