I need to make space on my computer...

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

I need to make space on my computer...

Post by jest2dogs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:51 pm

I have nearly met my capacity for storage with only a little over 19gb left. I may be able to expand my SS drive capacity but I do have a 1TB Seagate hard drive, as yet unused.

However, I have an innate fear of losing data. Many years ago when home with the flu, I decided to clean up my photos and ended up deleting about 2 years worth of pictures (it was not a MAC).I have never recovered my nerve.

I would like to move some stuff, at least for now, off the MBP and onto either the 1TB, or my cool, San Disk 128GB USB 3.0.mini-flash drive. I think the best thing to transfer would be videos as they take up the most space (at least to start).

How do I do that? Yes, I'm scared to pieces. I've copied stuff before but never moved stuff intact. Do I just highlight all my videos in "Photos" and move them? Where are the actual "jpg" files stored (They become OMG files the minute I lose them. Har!)

I'm sure it is simple to effect, probably just a drag and drop, but I feel/sound like an idiot f'sure ("How'd this guy get this far in life without learning how to do this?") but I need the pathway delineated and clear and breadcrumbs to find my way back.

Anyone want to teach me how to land? Y'know like in those "B" movies when the pilot dies and the drunk high school teacher from Iowa has to land the plane. No, I'm not from Iowa and I won't comment on the rest....(LOL)

-Jesse

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: I need to make space on my computer...

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:17 pm

Here's what I always do when replacing a hard drive or even major reorganization.

1. Use DiskWarrior to fully check the integrity of your internal drive. Replace the directory when asked. At least, use Disk Utility to check the drive.
2. Use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to make a bootable clone of your internal drive onto an external drive.
3. Test the clone by booting from the clone and spot checking carefully. Just booting into OS X requires hundreds of files to be fully functional, so it's unlikely you can lose data if the clone is working right. If you're unsure, clone onto another external drive and test that too. If I were doing this, in addition to the clone, I'd have two separate Time Machine drives with a full backup.
Resist any impulse to partition an external drive and put two clones on that. The main reason for drive failure is the physical mechanism.
4. Perform whatever functions on your internal drive that you want. I strongly recommend replacing the internal drive with a larger one, if possible.

External drives for this use are quite inexpensive. They need not be laptop-size drives.

Note:
Lots of people are using newer MacBooks with small internal flash drives, and they must use an external regularly.
I've always felt that trying to keep two drives with current data on them backed up at least doubles your headaches. You must regularly back up each drive, and any clone has to be done twice. I have not researched how Time Machine works with both an internal and an external drive in regular use. Maybe I'm too old fashioned and conservative in this.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:48 pm

As Steve pointed out, having a good backup is a must before doing anything like this.

This article in today's MacWorld might be helpful How to export images at full image resolution from macOS Photos.

Rick
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:35 am

I have not researched how Time Machine works with both an internal and an external drive in regular use.
Here are some answers:
Note that Time Machine happily backs up to more than one drive. It automatically switches to the second drive on the second scheduled backup, then back to the first drive, etc. This gives you two complete backups, guarding against the slight possibility of a drive failure. I use two mini drives for this, as they're much quieter than full-sized drives.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3727694?start=0

http://www.danielsato.com/blog/2014/08/ ... nal-drive/

http://www.letstalk-tech.com/back-exter ... -mac-os-x/

Also, don't get sucked into arguments about whether Time Machine is "buggy" (it's not) or whether Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner is "better" (they're two quite different backup strategies, and complement each other).
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks for the ideas on "backup", but maybe I didn't explain my thoughts quite right.

A few years ago a met a fellow who used a separate hard drive for all his photos. After I wrote this inquiry to the forum I recalled that he used to download his pictures right from his camera, then access them on his computer. But they were "stored" on the hard drive, thus not taking up room on his computer.

I recently acquired a GoPro camera and the few videos I've taken add up to a couple of hours now (not that I won't edit or delete some of this footage as it is mostly unremarkable "test run" stuff). But it has eaten up tons of my SS storage on the 2015 13" MBP. Whereas, about half of the storage was in use when I loaded it in the spring, now I am down to 19 GB of storage remaining. So, if that is going to be how it goes, I need to dedicate an external hard drive for pics and videos and access them as a separate entity.

Stephen, frankly, you lost me with Disk Warrior and cloning my internal drive, etc. Do I really want/need a total clone my internal drive? I just want to load existing photos and vids to an outside storage unit. I think if I do this I can still view and manipulate pics in "Photos" and the same with vids in "iMovie" on the internal drive and then drag and drop the edited items back into the external drive without storing them internally.

Am I "out to lunch" on this? There is so much I don't know and so little I do, I hate to be a dope about all this. Do I need to "clone" the internal drive in order to have Photo and iMovie in the external drive? Or, can I just have the "raw" (I know very little of this format) or "jpg" files stored externally and "borrow them from the "library" to read on the aforementioned programs on the internal drive on the MBP? (Kinda like borrowing a DVD to play at home.) Now, backing up the external hard drive with Time Machine or something else, would be yet another step in all this (and another external hard drive for back-up) and I am not yet knowledgeable enough to understand how to get there from...here.

I am not even sure how that fellow downloaded his pics/videos directly to an external drive from his camera (at least that's what I was lead to believe he did). Must I go out and take a course in all this before my remaining 19Gb are used up? Mebbe?

I remember Jerry doing a demo about handling photos a couple of years ago. He explained that (then) iPhoto was simply a viewer for jpeg files stored in the hard drive. And that you could access all these files in the bowels of the computer sans iPhoto. But I don't recall how he did that.

-Jesse

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:25 pm

All photos and videos in the Photos app are kept in a file called Photos Library. Its physical location is here: Mac HD> Users> Your user name> Pictures.

I you click on the Pictures icon in a finder window you'll see it. That Photos library can be moved to an external drive by simply dragging it to that drive.

1. Quit Photos

2. Copy (drag and drop) the Photos Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option key while launching Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location wherever you put it on your external drive. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

You will need to have the external drive mounted on your computer for this to work or your Mac will create a new Photos Library in your pictures folder.

I have thousands of photos, currently 853 gigs on a 2 Terabyte drive, in my Photos library and every year I buy a new external hard drive to move them off of my iMac. I follow the instructions above to do it. If I ever want to access those old photos I mount the hard drive and double click on the Photos Library on that drive.

Here is the discussion on Apple's website https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7030466?tstart=0
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Jay,

Beautimous! Just what I was looking for. Can items, once in the external drive, still be edited or deleted and viewed in Photo? And are all videos included in this same Photo Library? Is there a way to move videos separately?

[I think I have a bug in this iPad. When I typed "same library" I looked away for a split second. When I reread the sentence it said "this Sam Edelman photo library". I don't remember dedicating the library to Sam Edelman? LOL I'd better look up that name.]

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Jay thanks for the details. I'll let you know how it rolls.

-Jesse

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:08 am

My idea about cloning your internal drive was to provide a proven backup in case something goes wrong while you're copying photos to an external drive, then deleting them on your internal drive. This is similar to the procedure you'd use if you want to replace your internal drive.

When you store anything important on an external drive and are using that drive regularly, you need to back up that external drive just like you do with your internal drive. According to the sites I cite above, Time Machine will back up both your internal and your regularly used, mounted external to another external drive (or drives).

People who do video professionally have very large and elaborate backup strategies. Between my Aperture library and my Final Cut library, I have more than a terabyte of photos and video.

My biggest data loss ever was when a drive failed and I replaced it from a clone that was one day out of date (user error). I lost a whole day's worth of photos.
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:30 am

jest2dogs wrote:Jay,
Can items, once in the external drive, still be edited or deleted and viewed in Photo? And are all videos included in this same Photo Library? Is there a way to move videos separately?
-Jesse
Once your Photos library is moved to an external drive you use Photos just like it was on your internal drive or in this case an SSD. So yes, photos and videos can be edited, added to, deleted. To answer the question "is there a way to move videos separately", when you move the Photos Library, you move everything. Alternatively, you can export videos from Photos to that external hard drive and then delete the originals if you just want to get those large video files off your computer.

Keep in mind that when you drag and drop the Photos library to another drive it's making a duplicate of the Photos library currently on your computer. You'll have to open your original Photos library using the Option key method mentioned earlier on your computer and delete the photos and videos you don't want stored there. A very important point is that you'll need to have this drive mounted on your computer before you attempt to offload photos from your camera or your computer will add those images to your internal Photos library. You don't need to keep the external drive running all the time, only when you need it.

Steven's point about backing up this new drive with Photos on it to yet another external drive is a good one.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Another couple of points to be made, just for completeness:
• Apple's Fusion drives, like the one in my iMac, are really two drives set up to appear to the OS and the user as a single drive.
• When you have that external drive mounted, you can do anything on it (or to it). If you drag an item from one volume (drive) to another volume, it's copied, not moved. That has led me to some confusion and file duplication in the past. It's something to keep in mind.
Steve Jobs