Drag icons between pages?

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Drag icons between pages?

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:22 am

Here's a puzzler one of you iPad cognoscenti might be able to help with.
On my mother-in-law's iPad, the only one I've ever handled, it's kind of difficult to drag an icon from one page to another.

For example, if you have an app icon on one page and want to add it to a folder on a previous page...
1. Touch and hold until it begins to wiggle.
2. Drag to the left edge of the screen.
3. Crash into an invisible wall. The icon bounces back to its original position.

There seems to be a sweet spot in the bottom 1/4 of the left edge where the icon can get through the wall to the previous page. I feel like I'm playing a video game with a secret door.

Am I missing something?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: Drag icons between pages?

Post by rickj » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:35 am

Stephen Hart wrote:Here's a puzzler one of you iPad cognoscenti might be able to help with.
On my mother-in-law's iPad, the only one I've ever handled, it's kind of difficult to drag an icon from one page to another.

For example, if you have an app icon on one page and want to add it to a folder on a previous page...
1. Touch and hold until it begins to wiggle.
2. Drag to the left edge of the screen.
3. Crash into an invisible wall. The icon bounces back to its original position.

There seems to be a sweet spot in the bottom 1/4 of the left edge where the icon can get through the wall to the previous page. I feel like I'm playing a video game with a secret door.

Am I missing something?
I've always found moving an icon from one page to another to be a little touchy, but I've discovered a procedure that makes it easier.

The iPad dock can hold 5 or 6 icons, but out of the box, it only has four. So as long as you have some room left in your dock, you can use it to simplify the move. After you get the wiggly icons, drag your icon into the dock, then swipe to move to the page you want. Then drag the icon out of the dock to the desired location and hit the Home button to stop the wiggling. I find this way easier than dragging from page to page, especially if you are moving through more than one page. And if you have room in the dock for two or more extra icons, you can move more than one icon at a time.
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:29 pm

Brilliant!
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Gee Rick, that is pretty smart. But for those of us who have our docks full let me offer this bit of advice. Move the dancing icon to the edge of the screen and then "push" it over the edge. This takes a couple of seconds but it works. If you just move the icon to the edge and let go it'll bounce back. Hold it against the edge until it moves to the next screen.

Don't be such a wimp! Push that sucker 'till it hollers calf rope!
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.