Why does "accountsd wants to use 'login' keychain"?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Why does "accountsd wants to use 'login' keychain"?

Post by jest2dogs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:55 pm

A couple of days ago I had to purchase "Numbers" for my new, lightly used 2015 MacBook Pro. (I bought it several months ago and like the 13" size a lot better than my earlier 15''). Apparently, the former owner may have downloaded the free iWorks version but I was not privy to them upon buying his computer.

When I was looking for a site to download Numbers for free, I was prompted several times by a box that wanted me to enter my iTunes id, which I did. But then nothing happened. At most I got the "instructions" but no app. Finally I found the same page at the Apple site and, for $19.99 I got my Numbers app downloaded.

Thinking that something may have been wonky with the earlier download site, I changed my iTunes password.

I also contacted the Apple help line regarding my need to pay for Numbers. Basically, they said, too bad. And that perhaps I could get it downloaded from former owner and they would refund my money. Otherwise, thank you for your purchase.

On a lark I checked my "Keychain" utility. Which left me baffled. Before I left the utility I locked it. I noted that most of the sub-categories were unlocked except for "logins".

The next thing I know I am getting pop-up windows with "accounts wants to use "login" keychain" and a spot to enter my computer password. I have refused all attempts by this and other agents to get the password. Why is this happening? I have since unlocked the master keychain, leaving "logins" locked and the keychain as I had found it.

A sample of some of the items wanting access: "cloudd", "accountsd", and "scopedbookmarkagent".

I also have some odd or repititious certificates listed that are marked with a red "x". The first is a DoD certificate due to expire in 2028. (DoD!!) And I have several apple ones that seem to be annual certificates with only the 2017 certificate not marked with an "x". Can these earlier expired apple certificates be deleted? They all seem to have the same alpha-numeric code in the list, though I have not expanded on each one to check any differences not revealed in the list.

I looked up this pop-up issue on line and got a number of different suggestions but no real answers.

I have changed the password before without this happening but I have never locked the keychain before. It is now unlocked as explained above, as I found it, but the pop-ups persist.

-Jesse

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Why does "accountsd wants to use 'login' keychain"?

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:34 pm

I had an experience where I ended up with a free copy of Final Cut Pro X, with Apple's written compliments. Two years later, I suddenly had to pay for updates. Maybe Apple's getting harder nosed on accidental freebies.

If you need Numbers, it's certainly worth the cost.

As to Keychain, I've never understood it. There's information on the web, and maybe in one of the Take Control books.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Thanks Stephen!

I will explore the web of intrigue surrounding the "keychain". Maybe Poirot or Marples has an idea...

As for the barrage of keychain access requests? I simply shut off the computer and rebooted it and the nagging requests for keychain access, so far, have not returned.

(Of course, now that I've said that, they'll come back to haunt me.)

Thanks again.

-Jesse
P.S. Been out riding lately? I came back from shopping yesterday with the sidehack full of goods. Actually, I had plenty of room left, with space in the nose, trunk and rack, but it took several trips to empty the "hold".

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:28 pm

jest2dogs wrote:P.S. Been out riding lately? I came back from shopping yesterday with the sidehack full of goods. Actually, I had plenty of room left, with space in the nose, trunk and rack, but it took several trips to empty the "hold".
Maybe you're thinking of Jay. I haven't ridden a motorcycle since about 1969...
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:11 am

Here's one article on Keychain Access:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2013756 ... ccess.html
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks for the article.

I looked through some Poirot and Marples books and found no "keychain" mysteries... LOL :0)

And I guess the simple answer to my riding question is , "No". ;0)

My error, sorry. The mind is a terrible thing...

-Jesse
P.S. 1969, ay? I hope it was a good experience.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:09 pm

jest2dogs wrote:
-Jesse
P.S. Been out riding lately? I came back from shopping yesterday with the sidehack full of goods. Actually, I had plenty of room left, with space in the nose, trunk and rack, but it took several trips to empty the "hold".
This is Jay, sorry to hijack the thread but I rode my 43 year old Honda a few cold days ago.

Join the old motorcycle group here: http://www.olymoto.com/index.php We meet for beer and burgers and motorcycle talk on the 3rd Thursday of every month at the Cornerhouse in the back room. Please join us.
Attachments
smaller.jpg
smaller.jpg (163.49 KiB) Viewed 999 times
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:17 pm

-Jesse
I rode a Honda 150 (It looked like web images of a '68, but I don't actually know the year) around Monterey, and a few times to San Francisco (think fog). The experience was cold.
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
-Jesse
I rode a Honda 150 (It looked like web images of a '68, but I don't actually know the year) around Monterey, and a few times to San Francisco (think fog). The experience was cold.
1974 XL250 'dirt bike'

cline northwest @ gmail dot com w/o the spaces if you'd like to discuss further. Admins might get mad...
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:01 pm

What is this, the Strait Motorcycle User Group?
Steve Jobs