In Finder "Sidebar" What is "Shared"

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Barbara Wilson
Forum Member
Forum Member

In Finder "Sidebar" What is "Shared"

Post by Barbara Wilson » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:31 pm

I have three names listed under the "shared" heading in the Finder sidebar.

They are:
Back to My Mac
Connected servers
Bonjour Computers

In the boxes preceding these names were check marks. I have "un"checked the one for Bonjour Computers, figuring the other two may be 'safe". But I do not know how to search out info on these names, or exactly what I am sharing with them.

At last Wednesday's SMUG meeting my husband signed onto the SMUG network and suddenly found two names under the "Shared" heading (one was "Karen Cole's computer", but he doesn't recall the other name). He consulted with Richard (?) who thought these people might have unsecured computers or cell phones at the meeting (or in hindsight, in the building?)

Our home router and my Mac are password protected, but what happens when we sign on with the SMUG network, or in some "internet cafe" ?

What are we sharing and with whom?

Thanks for help.

Barbara Wilson
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: In Finder "Sidebar" What is "Shared"

Post by Barbara Wilson » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Okay, I have another question, as well.

At the Wed night mtg Genevieve(?) was referencing "iLife 11".

My Mac was purchased on New Year's Eve (12/31/10)from Best Buy, and iLife was preinstalled, however an iLife disk was included that says "Version 11".

My icons and iDVD pages look different from the ones shown in the presentation (we were following along as she presented). She mentioned that her icons were evidence of the 2011 version.

How do I identify which version of iLife is installed in my Mac?

If I have an older version, will I lose documentation by inserting/installing the disk labeled "Version 11"?

I realize these are pretty basic questions, but I want to tread lightly as I learn my way around this Mac.

Thanks for answers.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Version numbers in iLife are confusing. Here are a couple of checkpoints:

iPhoto in iLife '11 is version 9. If you've run the various updates, 9.1.3.

GarageBand in iLife '11, if fully updated, is 6.0.2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At SMUG meetings in PA, there are two wifi networks you can join. One is the NOLS open network. The other is the SMUG network. If you see shared computers after joining either one, those represent other people who've also signed in. They may or may not have unsecured computers. On Macs, you can see anyone signed in, and can usually access their public folders. Mostly, you can't access anything else.

In Finder preferences, you can set which shared items show up in your sidebar. In my example, Connected servers means the other two Macs in our household, which I can access only by signing in with a password. When you have File Sharing turned on, your Mac is a "server" to any other Mac on the local area network.
Attachments
sidebar.jpg
sidebar.jpg (43.11 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Barbara,

The iLife Install DVD that is labeled "Version 11" is iLife '11.

It was released in October of 2010, so that should be the version that you have on your Mac.

The iLife '11 app icons are shown in the screenshot below.

I can't account for the difference between your icons and Geneva's icons, since I have not seen either.

You will not lose any of your documents by either inserting the DVD, nor by running the installer for that matter.

The purpose for having the DVD is so that you can re-install any of the iLife '11 apps, should they ever get corrupted.

;)

P.S. In the future, if you more than one question to ask about, it would be less confusing to both yourself and others if you started a new forum topic for each question.
Attachments
iLife '11 Icons.png
iLife '11 Icons.png (114.39 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Geneva wasn't using the most current version of iLife which is why your icons and hers are different. She was very careful to identify which version of each application she was using because different versions can have the same features in different places or even different feature sets.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Barbara Wilson
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Barbara Wilson » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks for the responses. I figured I may be "pushing it" to ask two questions under one heading, but I risked it because you folks seem a bit more savvy than I about this stuff :O)

Barbara Wilson
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Barbara Wilson » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:04 pm

So, then, what is "Back to My Mac and Bonjour Computers as noted in Stephen's attachment (see above).

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Barbara Wilson wrote:So, then, what is "Back to My Mac and Bonjour Computers as noted in Stephen's attachment (see above).
Back to My Mac is a way to connect to your own Mac from another computer from a distance. One time at a SMUG meeting, I got on the wireless and found not only a couple of Macs in the room with me, but also my own desktop Mac at home, miles away. Setting that up is a preference.

Bonjour is Apple's new(er) name for Rendezvous, technology for connecting to printers, etc. that doesn't require any setup. Probably some other SMUG member can fill in more than I know about this.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:00 am

The "Shared" sidebar item is a heading for any drives that your computer sees that have been set up so that you can access them. Such shared drives can be other computers on your home network or other servers on a corporate network. If the Mac sees them, they will be listed there so that you can access them. There is no "danger" in having that heading present nor is there any concern about accessing any drive that you see there. In every case such names represent computers that you are authorized and able to access.

In my house, for example, I have my desktop iMac set up so that its hard drive may be shared by other users... namely me (on my laptop), my kids (on their laptops), or other guests to our house. You set up drives for sharing in the control panel (System Preferences) labeled "Sharing."

There is no danger here... these are merely conveniences for you.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:45 am

JerryFreilich wrote:The "Shared" sidebar item is a heading for any drives that your computer sees that have been set up so that you can access them. Such shared drives can be other computers on your home network or other servers on a corporate network. If the Mac sees them, they will be listed there so that you can access them. There is no "danger" in having that heading present nor is there any concern about accessing any drive that you see there. In every case such names represent computers that you are authorized and able to access.

In my house, for example, I have my desktop iMac set up so that its hard drive may be shared by other users... namely me (on my laptop), my kids (on their laptops), or other guests to our house. You set up drives for sharing in the control panel (System Preferences) labeled "Sharing."

There is no danger here... these are merely conveniences for you.
Jerry, please read the original post in this thread. The OP saw other computers and/or cell phones in the SHARED area at the meeting. The OP wasn't authorized to see and access these devices. To top it off these other devices were unlocked which would have allowed the OP to do all kinds of naughty things to those devices.

We need another demo on security.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.