How do I delve into software to determine which version it i

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Barbara Wilson
Forum Member
Forum Member

How do I delve into software to determine which version it i

Post by Barbara Wilson » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:10 pm

Okay, it was suggested I separate my inquiries so here's another.

How do I find which version of a program I have installed? For example, iLife, or segments of it, such as iPhoto or iDVD. How do I find the details of the program in the depths of my Mac? On a PC it's easy to find the program and find it's properties. What am I missing here?

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: How do I delve into software to determine which version

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:26 pm

The easiest way is to open the application, go to the menu bar then click on the drop down menu that includes the ABOUT option. Click About and you'll have your answer. It's a bit of a scavenger hunt because different publishers put the About information in different places.

Another way to determine the version of the application you're interested in is to go to the Finder, place your cursor over that application's icon and do a right-click. You'll see an option called INFO or GET INFO. Click on that and a mini window will open with all kinds of information about that program including the version.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Barbara Wilson
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Barbara Wilson » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm

Thank you Richard!

There's confusion in using both PC with Windows and then the MAC. My husband gets confused and perhaps is trying too hard to help. Afterall, switching from Windows to Mac is two different ways of thinking.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:39 pm

If your Finder windows are set up to show columns, merely selecting an application (one click) will show info about that app in the next column to the right. You might have to scroll down a bit to see the version number in that column.

Most modern apps will have the About menu item in the first menu for that app, the one bearing the app's title.
Attachments
columns.jpg
columns.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 757 times
about.jpg
about.jpg (18.95 KiB) Viewed 757 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs