safe finder

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
errolloving
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

safe finder

Post by errolloving » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:21 am

Safe Finder has taken over my search engine--sny suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: safe finder

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:49 am

Here's a page that describes this application (sorry for all the ads):

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-safe-finder-virus.html

At the very bottom it lists instructions to manually remove Safe Finder. Be careful to avoid all the ads on the page, which I consider malware as well.

If you want to double-check this page, google "Remove Safe Finder." Ignore results that are commercial products. And be sure to use instructions for Mac, not Windows.

I don't recommend buying or installing anti-malware or anti-virus applications on your Mac. Others may have different opinions.
I also don't think you need a shotgun approach to this. It appears to be merely an application (not a Safari plugin) that was installed accidentally. Just in case, you may want to check Safari > Preferences > Extensions and delete any that you don't remember installing deliberately.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

errolloving
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by errolloving » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:03 pm

doesn't seem to work-=-changed to firefox and still have Safe Finder--but Chrome does not

errolloving
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by errolloving » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:50 pm

Stephan--called Apple Care and they had me delete all history in all browsers I am using--then emptied the garbage--that cleared it out of Safari and Firefox--had to delete and reinstall Chrome to get it done--Applecare guy said he had same situation yesterday and Chrome was touhtest to remove---thanks as always for your input.