Calendar Spam Invite

Discussion of issues related to macOS Sierra
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Calendar Spam Invite

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:26 am

I received a Spam invitation in Calendar, first noticed on my iPad. It came direct to Calendar, and is addressed to dozens of addresses similar to mine. "Genuine Ray Bans, direct from China."

As with Spam received as email, the right thing to do is to delete without responding in any way. Any response validated your e-mail address, leading to more Spam.

But there appears to be no way to delete an invite without responding. I found some suggestions from years past*, but they don't work in iOS 10 or in the current iCloud web interface.

Anyone have a clue what to do other than just ignore the invite?

* Create a new "junk" calendar, move the invite, delete the new calendar. But I saw no way to move an invite.
* In iCloud on a Mac, delete the invite. No can do. Either the action symbol method or the delete key only offers delete and notify the sender.
* Set all invites to email only. I see no way to do that.
* Disconnect from iCloud, delete Calendar data from the iOS device, reconnect to iCloud. I researched this procedure for another purpose recently, and the result is a cycle where as soon as you reconnect to iCloud, it repopulates all devices with the data.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: Calendar Spam Invite

Post by rickj » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:30 am

I just got the same invitation. I just right-clicked on it to get a popup menu and chose DELETE from the menu. It asked me if I was sure I wanted to decline the invitation, I said yes, and it went away.
Rick

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:33 am

Yeah, it just happened to me the morning of 11/25. Not only does the spam show up in Calendar but also in BusyCal. Showing up in BusyCal makes sense since it uses all the iCloud data.

Like you, I don't want to use DECLINE because that just notifies the sender (SPAMer) that the email address is being used and invites even more spam. It's too bad the Calendar app doesn't have a spam filter like Mail does.

If you ever figure out a solution please post it.

Whoops, I meant DELETE. If you select DELETE the sender is notified. I don't know what happens if you use DECLINE in terms of notifying the sender.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:15 am

rickj wrote:I just got the same invitation. I just right-clicked on it to get a popup menu and chose DELETE from the menu. It asked me if I was sure I wanted to decline the invitation, I said yes, and it went away.
Richard Serkes wrote:Yeah, it just happened to me the morning of 11/25. Not only does the spam show up in Calendar but also in BusyCal. Showing up in BusyCal makes sense since it uses all the iCloud data.

Like you, I don't want to use DECLINE because that just notifies the sender (SPAMer) that the email address is being used and invites even more spam. It's too bad the Calendar app doesn't have a spam filter like Mail does.

If you ever figure out a solution please post it.

Whoops, I meant DELETE. If you select DELETE the sender is notified. I don't know what happens if you use DECLINE in terms of notifying the sender.
Oops. Now I understand what you were talking about. Oh well. I'm on their list now.
Stephen Hart wrote:* Set all invites to email only. I see no way to do that.
A little late, I just discovered how to do this. In iCloud go to Calendar preferences (the little gear at the bottom) and click on the Advanced tab. It's at the bottom.
Attachments
Cal-Prefs.jpg
Cal-Prefs.jpg (5.85 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
Rick

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:23 am

Nice. You truly are smarter than the average bear.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:26 am

Richard Serkes wrote:Nice. You truly are smarter than the average bear.
Of course, the average bear would have probably read Stephen's post more carefully before acting.
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:29 pm

I just got home from D.C. and checked on my own iMac. The contextual menu delete option is actually decline, with an explicit notice that the sender will be notified.

If I try the method of using iCloud on my iMac, I get the second message: Delete and Notify.

Overall, this is deeply icky.
~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~
Attachments
rayban.jpg
rayban.jpg (72.38 KiB) Viewed 5647 times
morerayban.jpg
morerayban.jpg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 5647 times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Here's an article in The New York Times on this issue. It contains some of the same solutions I saw earlier, but I did make one work, as follows.

1. On my iMac, make a new calendar. I called mine Junk.
2. Select the offensive invitation.
3. Control click and choose Get Info.
4. In the Calendar indicator at the upper right of the info window, choose the Junk calendar. This moves the entry. There really isn't a Move command, as far as I can see.

5. Switch to an iOS device. (There's no way to delete this calendar in Calendars on the Mac. Apple's Calendar Help says some calendars can't be deleted.)
6. In iOS Calendar go the Calendars view.
7. Tap the Calendars button at the bottom of the screen to enter the Calendars list. Tap the lowercase “i” icon next to the Junk calendar, and on the next screen, scroll all the way down and tap Delete Calendar.

According to the article, you can do all of the above in iOS.

8. In Safari > iCloud on my iMac, go to Calendar web app.
9. Gear icon on the lower left > Preferences > Advanced > Invitations. Choose checkbox to have all invitations go to my Apple ID email, not directly to Calendar. This works for me because I have never gotten and invitation before, and don't need to use the feature regularly. Deleting spam email without responding or notifying is much easier.

I've notified Apple that I think this is a high-priority thing to fix.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Apple seems to be on track with this issue:

Apple activates iCloud.com Calendar spam reporting feature
Steve Jobs