Mail weirdness

Discussion of issues related to macOS Sierra
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Mail weirdness

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:39 pm

So twice recently, I've sent email from Mail 10.0 (Sierra) with photos. In both cases, the photos disappear once the message is sent. In both cases, I've sent the message again, assuming I had just forgotten to drag the photos into the message. One of the resent messages shows the photo, the other doesn't.

As a test, I replicated the steps, sending a message with photos to my wife's e-mail address. That one also didn't show any photos in the received message. And, the sent message disappeared. I trashed the test message. But then I looked in Trash and the photos show up. I dragged the message to Karen's main mailbox, and the photos still show up.

Restarting Mail didn't help. I can't restart my iMac just now, but will tomorrow and see what I see.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Mail weirdness

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:28 am

There's at least one discussion of this issue, so it's not just me:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/76 ... 0&tstart=0

Restarting the iMac and rebuilding the mailbox didn't help.

Here's an interesting thing: If I look at the test message I sent in Mail on my iMac, no photos show up. If I look at the same message in webmail, the photos are there. So it looks as if it's clearly a Mail bug.

[Additional 10/08/2016]

I did another test: I moved an e-mail in which photos weren't showing from On My Mac to an iCloud folder. I looked at that folder by way of Safari, and the photos show up. I moved it back to On My Mac, and the photos don't show.
This provisionally convinces me that this is a display bug in Mail. The attachments are not getting stripped out, they just don't display.

Also, there's now another Apple Support discussion of this issue.

If this is affecting you, please report it to Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html.

[Additional 10/09/2016]

One more test: I sent from my eugraph.com address, and the images show up. The above tests are sent from my iCloud account, though received in an olympus.net account. Others have mentioned that this affects IMAP accounts but not POP accounts.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:10 pm

At least one post to an Apple Support Community says Sierra 10.12.2 (public beta) fixes this bug.

(It also cautions that the beta has a serious bug in Preview.)
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:32 pm

I've seen a couple of posts now to Apple Support Communities saying that 10.12.2, out now, fixes this bug.

12/15/2016
I have 10.12.2 installed now and haven't yet seen any change in Mail. Still searching for why.
Steve Jobs