"Other" files in OS X

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

"Other" files in OS X

Post by JerryFreilich » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Hey guys, down here in Bend....

A club member (down here) has a MacBook Pro with a 250 Gb SSD running El Cap. The "About this Mac" storage tab says that she has around 100 Gb of "Other" category files and that her hard drive is almost completely filled. I've poked around on the web and most advice seems to say that that "Other" category can be a very mixed bag of important and also unimportant files (e.g., outdated cache files). Do any of you have experience at getting rid of the "Other" files?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: "Other" files in OS X

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:31 pm

There are apps that say they can save space on a hard drive, but every time I've checked one out, I've seen them flag files for deletion that I knew shouldn't be deleted. I'd be very careful of anything of that sort.

I've never checked the OS's own version, but here's what I see in macOS Sierra, including options to move some files to iCloud and to "reduce clutter." Again, I'd be careful with any such utilities.

External hard drives are very inexpensive these days, so what I'd suggest is to make a bootable clone of the internal hard drive to an external and then to test that by booting it. Then, if all looks good, proceed with seeing what might be deleted from the internal drive.

Even better would be to do the above, then replace the internal drive with a larger one, if that's practical.
Attachments
storage.jpg
storage.jpg (52.5 KiB) Viewed 444 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks as always, Stephen. Do you have a favorite among the various cache cleaners?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:27 am

JerryFreilich wrote:Thanks as always, Stephen. Do you have a favorite among the various cache cleaners?
I think a lot of people like OnyX.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs