Router advice please

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Router advice please

Post by KarenColes » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:35 pm

After a power outage last week, we lost our internet connection. We called our ISP, and after following their advice of unplugging and plugging in the modem and the router (which I had already done several times,) they determined that the modem was not communicating with the router, indicating that one or the other was not working correctly. They sent us a loaner router and modem to try so we could determine which of ours was defective. Our original modem seems to work fine, but the system only works with the loaner router. Bottom line, apparently we need a new router.

What's the best way to do this? Buy a router from the ISP? Buy our own router? If so, where? Which one? I'm clueless about routers, but assume I could figure out how to set it up and set the password.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Router advice please

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:00 pm

I bought this Netgear router a couple of years ago and am very happy with it. The step by step instructions were easy to understand. It has 4 ports on the back and wifi.

Available from Walmart, Costco (sometimes) and Amazon.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-N300 ... r/10928683
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless ... tgear+n300
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:42 am

What kind of connection do you have: cable, wireless, DSL?

Depending on your needs, you may be able to get along with, for example, the DSL modem itself. The last time we had a problem with DSL, the line tech gave us a CenturyLink ZyXEL PK5001Z, a minor upgrade from the one we had. It has three additional ethernet ports and can be configured to do wireless as well. We've used such a system in the past.

At one point, in an effort to get better wireless in my shop, I bought an Apple AirPort Extreme. It also has three ethernet ports, and a more powerful wifi signal. It also allows easy addition of an Apple AirPort Express to extend range, connect to a stereo, etc.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:38 pm

BTW, I also like my DEWALT DWP611PK. :)
Steve Jobs

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:02 pm

No DSL here, so I went with the Netgear router from WalMart ($39.) I hit a couple of roadblocks in setting it up (probably my own fault,) but after resetting the router to factory specs, I was able to connect and then reset the network name and password. All is well, now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:BTW, I also like my DEWALT DWP611PK. :)
Especially that 12 AMP, 2-1/4 HP jobbie. Not so good at passing data packets though.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:28 pm

Jay Cline wrote:
Stephen Hart wrote:BTW, I also like my DEWALT DWP611PK. :)
Especially that 12 AMP, 2-1/4 HP jobbie. Not so good at passing data packets though.
I have the DW625 3HP plunge router, but that's a two-handed, 11-pound monster.
The DWP611PK is so capable that I'm using it more and more. It has LED lights, soft start, variable speed, one-handed operation, etc.

Now all they need is to add a BlueTooth chip and WiFi like my cameras and its own built-in camera and then I could control it remotely from my iPhone! (Just kidding.)

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:33 pm

How about starting a woodworking forum? Sounds like we have a lot of woodworkers (at least 2; three with me) among us.