iPad Stuck

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

iPad Stuck

Post by Bob Wiswell » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:18 pm

We have an iPad 4 that is stuck. We cannot get it to open from sleep. The screen will come on by opening the cover or pressing the Home button. The screen is in the landscape mode and will not rotate and swiping the "slide to unlock" does not open the iPad. The time on the screen is correct so it seems to be connected to the internet. Also, we cannot turn it off. Holding the power button down the "slide to power off" oblong button comes on but doesn't work. At this point it will shutdown when the battery runs out.

Any suggestions on what is going on and how to get the iPad on?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPad Stuck

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:52 am

Hold down the Home button and the screen lock button at the same time. (The screen lock button is sometimes called on/off.)
This forces the iPad to restart, just as if you'd used the slide to power off button.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:46 am

Stephen Hart wrote:Hold down the Home button and the screen lock button at the same time. (The screen lock button is sometimes called on/off.)
This forces the iPad to restart, just as if you'd used the slide to power off button.
This is what's called a hard boot for an iPad. You'll need to hold both buttons simultaneously for a few seconds until the display goes black and then the Apple logo will appear. Don't release the buttons until you see the logo. Let's hope this does the trick.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:02 am

Thanks Richard and Stephen. This did the trick. I was able to find this after much searching, mostly by selecting the correct word, last night. I actually started my search trek by asking Siri and after a few re-attempts in using different search words, the magic word was "restart" and many hits came up from restarting computers to specifically restarting an iPad. That did it. I even found the official Apple site discussing the problem and the solution.

Thanks again, Bob