Photos to iPhone?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
pvhansen@tfon.com
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Photos to iPhone?

Post by pvhansen@tfon.com » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:11 am

How can one transfer photos from iPhoto on the Mac to photos on the iPhone?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Photos to iPhone?

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:14 pm

Apple is promoting keeping all your photos (or the thousand most recent) in iCloud, available on all your devices.

Here's what I do:

In Aperture (Photos or iPhoto will do as well) I make an album* called Steve's iPhone Photos. I put everything I want on my iPhone in that album. Then, with my iPhone selected in iTunes, I choose Photos in the list below my iPhone's name and then make a checkbox in the Aperture album I want to use. You can, of course, choose more than one album. Then, when you sync your iPhone, the photos in selected albums will be copied to the iPhone.
You can also sync smart albums.
(If you have more than one album for similar purposes, you don't need to copy from one album to another, just select more than one album. So, for example, I have an album called Flower Screensaver, mainly for Apple TV. I also sync that to my iPhone.)

If you change what's in the album(s) what's on your iPhone will reflect the new album contents.

* In Aperture, an album is essentially a folder of aliases. Photo files are not moved when you drag a photo to an album. You do have to use a special delete command to remove a photo from an album.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

pvhansen@tfon.com
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Re: Photos to iPhone?

Post by pvhansen@tfon.com » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:33 am

Thank you Steve, that is a big help.