Any security for iPads? I tried 360 security.

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Carla
Forum Member
Forum Member

Any security for iPads? I tried 360 security.

Post by Carla » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:09 am

My daughter who uses Android system recommended 360 security but the only thing they do for my iPad 2 is the 4.99 one manages passwords and the 2.99 one looks at technical information but neither have a virus protection, a cleanup section or really seem to do much. My iPad seems about too full so how can I make it work better?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Any security for iPads? I tried 360 security.

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:30 pm

The bottom line is that iPads do not need any virus protection.
Here's a slightly technical explanation:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall ... 4ba4ce3d99

Under normal circumstances, the only apps you can use on your iPad are approved by Apple. So, essentially, no virus-laden apps can be loaded on an iPad (or iPhone).

Under abnormal circumstances, if you jailbreak your iPad, you can download an app, Apple approved or not. And then there's a chance of getting malware. I suggest that no one should ever jailbreak any iOS device. (Unless you're a computer security expert who wants to explore malware on purpose.)

I advise keeping your iPad iOS version up to date. You can update on the iPad and save a lot of download time. The iOS download in iTunes is only necessary if you need to restore your iPad in the event of serious trouble.

There's another thing to keep in mind, though, and that is web sites that try to convince you to give them personal information, including passwords, etc. Never do anything on a web site you didn't visit deliberately. And if any web site asks you to supply information you didn't expect to have to supply, quit the browser immediately and never visit that site again.

Note that some legitimate sites make you jump through various numbers of hoops for security reasons. The latest I've seen is the Social Security Administration, which is now requiring multi-factor authentication, "If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your my Social Security account."
But you should know which sites will ask for passwords, etc.

For storing passwords, on the Mac and iOS, I use 1Password. It's not just me, it's probably the most recommended password protection application and app available. It's very frequently updated. On the Mac, the Safari extension makes it very easy to use. On iOS, not so much, but you can copy and paste passwords. You can also sync Keychain between Macs and iOS.

If you're really concerned about security on iOS devices, the very best protection (according to security experts) is a longish password or fingerprint detection plus password.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs