iPad Becomes Unresponsive

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPad Becomes Unresponsive

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:51 pm

I just dealt, by phone, with and iPad that became unresponsive to the touch screen. We could make the red restart arrow appear, but couldn't slide it. Here's what fixed the problem:

If iPad won't turn on, or the display stops responding
Follow these steps, testing after each:

Turn the iPad off and turn it on again. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on top of iPad for a few seconds, until a red slider appears. Then slide the slider. Then press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
Reset iPad. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
This uses the physical buttons to restart the iPad.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3274
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

drchuck
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Re: iPad Becomes Unresponsive

Post by drchuck » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:36 pm

Thank you Stephen,

I had a weird one in which my iBook App when running would not let me do anything. Jeez, I was on page 106 of an 810 page novel when it happened over night. I was reading in late evening, folded the magnetic marvel over the screen like I had done dozens of times before, and the next afternoon... Any touch to the screen just brought up the black screen with the Apple and the whirly circle. I tried different books, same result. All other Apps seemed to work just fine Safari, iTunes, Mail, Address Book, no problem. So I went looking on the SMUG site, found your group and, shazam!

Thanks a bunch,

Chuck Howerton
Mac user in training after 25 years on a PC; nobody is perfect!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:22 pm

In the case I mentioned, the screen didn't respond at all. In your case, it sounds like any input caused a crash and restart. In either case, apparently turning the iPad off and back on fixed the issue. For you, it sounds like that procedure is different in some way than the restart that the crash caused.

If you can do it, here's another way to force quit an errant app:

Click the home button twice, quickly. You'll see a row of app icons appear at the bottom of the screen. Those are apps that have been started recently (or not so recently). Some of them will be still "on," some will be "off."
The important part, though, is that you can touch and hold any icon until they all start wiggling. Then touch an app and look for the minus sign. You can then delete the app icon from the list of recently started apps. That also quits the app. It doesn't delete the app from your iPad.

This is also useful to quit any app that's monitoring your location, an activity that uses a lot of juice and can drain the battery even if the cover is closed or the device is locked.
Steve Jobs

drchuck
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by drchuck » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks. I have had the wiggly icons several times without knowing why except that it was something I was doing on the icons across the bottom of the screen.
Mac user in training after 25 years on a PC; nobody is perfect!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:44 pm

drchuck wrote:Thanks. I have had the wiggly icons several times without knowing why except that it was something I was doing on the icons across the bottom of the screen.
This works the same way as app icons on the regular part of the screen. Touch and hold to get them wiggling, then you can rearrange or delete.
Steve Jobs