New (used) MBP Safari not working.

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

New (used) MBP Safari not working.

Post by jest2dogs » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:15 am

Gee, it was working earlier. (Now I am writing this on my iPad.)

Then I went to a frequently visited forum and started a new topic. I tried to attach a photo and suddenly I got the pinwheel of death. I restarted the computer, allowing it to reopen windows (tabs). My entry was gone so I retyped it and tried to drag and drop a photo. No go. I copied my entry to save it in "Pages". I again tried to attach a photo as a file. The pinwheel reappeared. I shut down Safari and reopened it. I was faced with an untitled page.

In the search bar I entered the forum address. I hit the return key and the address disappeared...repeatedly. I opened "Favorites" . None of them would open.

I opened my wife's MBP and immediately got on the Internet. Same with the iPad.

Now, I can type in the address and the Google "suggested sites" list appears. I can click on a line and, though it appears in the search box, nothing happens.

I am stymied.

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: New (used) MBP Safari not working.

Post by jest2dogs » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:44 am

A new development. I Air Dropped my Pages text to my iPad and submitted my entry to the forum complete with a photo.

I just returned to the MBP and in the dock were two Safari icons. One was labeled Safari iPad. I clicked on it and Safari came up as it used to and worked.

Now the iPad Safari icon is gone from the MBP dock but I seem to have a working Safari again.

What gives?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:03 am

I'm not sure, but it sounds like your Mac wasn't getting a good internet connection. This can happen if another device is using a lot of bandwidth, or if your connection is spotty.

Once I got a similar sudden huge delay while trying to upload a photo. I realized that instead of the modest-sized jpeg I meant to upload, I was accidentally choosing a very large Photoshop file.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Well, Stephen I thought about that, too. I unplugged the modem and reconnected it, all lights green for go. No other devices were on at the moment nor trying to connect to the internet. I never got a moving blue line indicating rate of connection. At first, the site address would just disappear from the search window when I hit "enter" or the circular "repeat" arrow. Even if a google drop down menu of selected sites appeared, none of them "took off" after selecting either.

I had a few other tabs in the top line so I clicked on a couple of those but the colorful, swirling pin wheel continued on.

But what was up with the second "Safari" icon appearing beside the Dock after sending the forum entry?

I wonder if it had to do with iCloud? Like when you start an email on one device and can continue it on another? Strangely it seemed to replace or "trigger" the Safari on the MBP.

I'm utilizing it now.

I recently had another issue with the iPad. I started typing an email with photos from my Photos app and I kept getting a message that I was running out of storage, Yet I hadn't sent anything, I was simply in the composing stage. Again the spinning pin wheel. When I tried to change the addressee in order to send a partial composition to another device, the screen would go blank (dark gray). I had to reboot the iPad several times before I was able to copy the text, save it to "Pages" and then air drop it to the MBP for completion and emailing.

I think the RNC convention fiasco had something to do with it. It's a rebellion, I tell you. The world has gone mad. :lol:

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:19 pm

Try a restart on your computer.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:06 pm

What Bob said. If there is still a problem try again using another web browser - Firefox or Chrome, on that computer and let us know if there any difference.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:56 am

Restarted computer several times. It has become my default move.

Nothing changed until I completed the forum entry on the iPad and the iPad Safari icon appeared to the left of the MBP dock and I clicked on it.. Then the MBP Safari started working again.

As long as it's working I'm not going to stir up the nest.

Last weekend this 65 year old took his sidecar into the west end logging roads, a longtime buddy (59), riding his customized dirt bike, was acting as point. I had a blast, crashed into a ditch, dug it out (with buddy's assistance) drove it to dinner, then home, where I popped Motrin and Tylenol to ease the fun of the bruised rib and broken wrist. Did I mention I had a blast?

I'm not going to get too stressed over the Safari thing. It's working. Sometimes there are no answers.

I am in awe of the knowledge you guys share with those of us that are computer daft. Thanks.

Thank you.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:05 am

Well then, we'll need to see photos of your sidecar. Have a URAL?
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:37 pm

IMG_3768 (1).jpg
On the waterfront.
IMG_3768 (1).jpg (98.35 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
IMG_4158 (1).jpg
On the narrow trail.
IMG_4158 (1).jpg (183.76 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
IMG_4136 (1).jpg
In the mountains.
IMG_4136 (1).jpg (88.48 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:40 pm

IMG_4173 (1).jpg
In the ditch.
IMG_4173 (1).jpg (164.77 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
But dug it out, went to dinner, drove it home and to orthopedic appointment today.

Russian Iron is pretty tough!

-Jesse