Keynote to PDF Conversion

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Keynote to PDF Conversion

Post by KarenColes » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:48 pm

I'm trying to create a PDF file of a Keynote presentation to send to someone whose computer I'll be using for the presentation. When I tried converting it to a PowerPoint presentation, there were too many fonts/graphics, etc. I would lose, so I decided a PDF would be better since it's not a complicated presentation.

My problem is I can't figure out how to convert the presentation to a PDF without all the small navigator tiles showing down the left hand side of the screen. I have the feeling there's a simple solution to this, but I haven't been able to figure it out. What am I missing here?

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Keynote to PDF Conversion

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Step 1. Open your files on Keynote

Step 2. Choose “File” on the menu bar, then select “Export To” on the drop-down menu. Next, you need to choose “File Format” as PDF.

Step 3. Next, you can choose an image quality. Please note: the higher the image quality, the larger the file size of the exported copy.

It should export every Keynote page as a separate pdf.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:55 pm

My problem is I can't figure out how to convert the presentation to a PDF without all the small navigator tiles showing down the left hand side of the screen. I have the feeling there's a simple solution to this, but I haven't been able to figure it out. What am I missing here?
Do you mean the thumbnails are showing in Preview?
Just uncheck Thumbnails in the View menu.
Attachments
thumbnails.jpg
thumbnails.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:21 am

Yes, the problem is the thumbnails showing in Preview. Unchecking Thumbnails seems to make sense, in a way, but it didn't accomplish anything. The thumbnails didn't disappear. I guess I don't really understand how it would remove the thumbnails anyway because once the thumbnails are there, in the PDF, nothing can be changed in the PDF, right? Preview only allows you to see what is there. Also, the PC on which the presentation will be shown, will be viewing the PDF with some other software, not Mac Preview.

It seems that I need to remove the thumbnails before converting the file to a PDF. No?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:49 am

I just did a test. In Keynote, I chose File > Export > PDF. I left all the boxes in the dialog unchecked.

In my last message, I was wrong. To hide the thumbnails, choose View > Hide Sidebar. Then Preview's thumbnails will disappear. Also check View > Single page. (View > Thumbnails is not a toggle.)

Now in Preview, I see the Keynote slides full window, and can navigate with the arrow keys. If you want no window showing, just the contents, use Full Screen mode with the green button. Remember that to exit Full Screen, you scroll off the top of the monitor and the button will reappear.

So, at least in my test, the thumbnails you're seeing are not from Keynote.
Steve Jobs

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Got it. It seems to work fine now. Hope I'll find the same results on the group moderator's PC. Fortunately, we've got a week or so to try it out. Thanks so much for the help. I'll report back if I encounter any other problems.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:20 pm

KarenColes wrote:Got it. It seems to work fine now. Hope I'll find the same results on the group moderator's PC. Fortunately, we've got a week or so to try it out. Thanks so much for the help. I'll report back if I encounter any other problems.

If at all possible, I suggest trying it out ahead of time with all the same equipment.
Steve Jobs

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:39 am

I always try to "rehearse" a bit before a presentation, but will probably only have a few minutes to do so this time. However, I sent the file to the moderator, she tried it out on her laptop, and reports that it works fine, with the ability to easily turn off the thumbnails and show the slides full screen.

I think I'm good to go! Thanks again for your help!