Photo Sharing Websites--Suggestions?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Photo Sharing Websites--Suggestions?

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:28 pm

The MobileMe Galleries will no longer exist after iCloud becomes a reality in the very near future. It's been a long time since I've used a photo sharing website not constructed and hosted by Apple. If you use one please describe its pluses and minuses.

I know that iPhoto will sync with Flickr but I can't figure out how to upload directly from iPhoto to Flickr. Do I need to use the Flickr uploader utility?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Photo Sharing Websites--Suggestions?

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:19 am

You can export to Flickr directly from iPhoto 11.
Screen shot 2011-07-05 at 7.17.42 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-07-05 at 7.17.42 AM.png (90.49 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
I use Photobucket on the iPhone. I belong to a motorcycle forum and one of the things we do is called photo tag. One person rides to an area and takes a photo of a landmark, statue, etc. with their motorcycle in the foreground. You then use your camera phone to immediately post the photo to PNWriders motorcycle forum. Photobucket has an iPhone app that includes a camera function. Snap the photo, hit the upload button, copy the img tag from Photobucket website and paste that img tag to PNWRiders. The next person has to ride to that same phototag and take a picture of their bike and upload the pix to the forum. He or she then can go and get the next tag anwhere in the Clallam, Jefferson, Kitsap and Mason county areas. It's just a fun excuse to ride and can be very competitive. Sometimes 5 tags a day are traded.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:00 am

I tried that but all I got was a message asking me if I wanted to give Flickr permission to sync with my iPhoto library. I said yes and checked off the appropriate boxes. Then Flickr told me to close the window as I was done. I went back to iPhoto and tried to upload the photos as your attachment indicates but I was sent back to the window that asked me if I wanted to sync.

I never was able to get the photos to upload directly from iPhoto. Was it because I had a batch of photos selected? Do I need to upload the photos one at a time? That would be awkward at best.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 am

Mobile Me services will work for another 11 months, so there's enough time to figure all this out.
Also, it's unclear to me what, exactly, the iCloud photo system will do. I suppose it's possible that Apple just completely gave up on competing with other photo-sharing businesses. Or never thought they should be competing in the first place.
But there's something very weird in exiting a "social media" field at this point in history.

For example, I just ran across this on Macintouch:
Called Google+, it's a suite of features for helping people communicate across the Web with friends, family, and co-workers. If that sounds like Facebook, it should. Google+ is openly described as Google's latest attempt to break in to the social space in a big way, potentially chipping away at--if not dismantling--Facebook's dominance.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:57 pm

I've found a site called SmugMug that looks great. But it isn't free. The basic package is $40/year. One of the nicest things about it is it's ad free. Check it out at http://www.smugmug.com for a free trial.
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Google, Apple and others will be competing for cloud computing space. Each will have their own online only apps and it appears Google has the upper hand. Will Apple allow Google to run the cloud show or will they compete? I'm betting on Google because they allow everyone to play.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am

Jay Cline wrote:Google, Apple and others will be competing for cloud computing space. Each will have their own online only apps and it appears Google has the upper hand. Will Apple allow Google to run the cloud show or will they compete? I'm betting on Google because they allow everyone to play.
I think we should distinguish among three "cloud" services: storage, web-based apps and apps in the cloud.

Apple has been supplying a few web-based apps for some time and styling them to look like the apps on your Mac. They're paid for as part of Mobile Me.
What Google and Microsoft are doing is different. This has been talked about for a long time. It's using web-based Office apps, etc.
Probably Google will pay for development by showing you ads and gathering information on your online use to target ads to you. That's their business model now.
Microsoft may well move to a pay-per-use model. After all, it doesn't do them much good to sell Office for as little as a couple hundred dollars and then have a user keep that app--as if they owned it--for three or four years. What's worse, reality-based apps can be pirated. Much better to wring a couple hundred dollars per year out of the user for cloud-based apps that can't be pirated and can't even be used without paying.
It's not clear to me what iCloud will contain. From what I've read, the only announced features are about syncing and online file storage with tiered pricing, and the subcategory of music streaming.

I'd far rather pay for any such services with money than pay for it by allowing information gathering by the "free" service. (Just as I usually opt for a paid version of an iPhone app so I don't have to see the ads.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs