Wi-Fi Calling from your iPhone

Discussion of issues related to iOS 9.
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Wi-Fi Calling from your iPhone

Post by Ray Bentsen » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:36 am

Some areas on the Olympic Peninsula have little or no cellular coverage, so ...

From Appleinsider:
With Monday's release of iOS 9.3, all four major U.S. cellular carriers — including the latest addition, Verizon — now support Wi-Fi Calling on Apple devices.

For an iPhone, the process is relatively simple: a Wi-Fi Calling toggle is located under the Phone menu in the iOS Settings app. After flipping it on, iOS will prompt you to supply an emergency address, since Wi-Fi can make it difficult or impossible for responders to narrow down your location. Whenever it can, in fact, an iPhone will try to make emergency calls over cellular.

Enabling Wi-Fi Calling offers another perk though, which is the ability to make or receive calls from other Apple devices linked to an iPhone's Apple ID — including Macs, iPads, iPods, and the Apple Watch. To do this, you need to go into the Phone menu's Calls on Other Devices section, and then tap Add Wi-Fi Calling For Other Devices.

For AT&T subscribers, iOS 9.3 enabled international Wi-Fi Calling, potentially handy for avoiding roaming charges when travelling.
The full article is here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/03/ ... d-t-mobile
Attachments
Enable Wifi Calling.png
Enable Wifi Calling.png (51.67 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Wi-Fi Calling from your iPhone

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:33 am

Also AT&T has announced international WiFi calling.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:37 pm

I don't get this option for wi-fi calling on my iPhone 5c. I use Verizon and I am using iOS 9.3. I went to the link and it says Verizon does this, but only shows example for T-Mobile. What am I doing wrong?

I do get the second option of calling from my iPad (wi-fi only) and I have set that up. In closer reading this, maybe I already am doing what this post is about, only my screen, on the phone, doesn't have the blue banner talking about wi-fi calling. Actually, I was using this capability from my wi-fi only iPad before this iOS update.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:12 am

Setting this up worked for me, see screenshots.

Apple's WiFi Calling page:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Verizon's WiFi Calling FAQ:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/ ... ling-faqs/

An article about why WiFi Calling is useful:
http://www.techlicious.com/tip/how-to-g ... e-verizon/

I didn't find any information on what happens in a situation where you have a robust cell signal and are connected to a WiFi hotspot.
Attachments
wificalling1.jpg
wificalling1.jpg (16.31 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
wificalling2.jpg
wificalling2.jpg (26.32 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:21 am

I see my problem, from Stephen's post with the links. Verizon requires iPhones with iOS 6 and above. While I can use my wi-fi only ipad, to call if my iphone 5c is in the vicinity, the actual call is going out cellular. I cannot make a call without cellular being present; i.e., wi-fi only.

This feature just makes it convenient to answer/call on the ipad without going looking for my phone if I am working on the ipad at the time.

LGmus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by LGmus » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:11 pm

Am planning a trip to Europe soon and this looks like an easy way to call people in the US who don't have Skype.

Am interested to hear from anyone who has travelled and used this new feature. as compared to any one of the confusing array of international calling plans (from the US) Verizon offers
And any other travel tips for getting the most from my phone without huge costs much appreciated--I have a 6S+. (was all set to pay Verizon $50 for their international plan, but the less i pay them, the happier i am!) You can contact me personally to chat if that is easier.
Thanks,
Lili

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:28 pm

Several of the sites I checked noted that international use was a big plus for WiFi calling. My vague understanding is that WiFi hotspots are both more prevalent and faster in Europe.

OTOH, What's $50 compared to the cost of the whole trip? ;)
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:22 pm

LGmus wrote:Am planning a trip to Europe soon and this looks like an easy way to call people in the US who don't have Skype.

Am interested to hear from anyone who has travelled and used this new feature. as compared to any one of the confusing array of international calling plans (from the US) Verizon offers
And any other travel tips for getting the most from my phone without huge costs much appreciated--I have a 6S+. (was all set to pay Verizon $50 for their international plan, but the less i pay them, the happier i am!) You can contact me personally to chat if that is easier.
Thanks,
Lili
I use Skype overseas all the time to call the USA and almost all of those calls are NOT to other Skype accounts. Check with Skype but I think it's 2-3 cents per minute. Of course if you're calling Skype to Skype there is no charge.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Can't you also use Facetime ipad/iphone to ipad/iphone via wi-fi? Turn off cellular and only use wi-fi or use a wi-fi only ipad.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:44 pm

Bob Wiswell wrote:Can't you also use Facetime ipad/iphone to ipad/iphone via wi-fi? Turn off cellular and only use wi-fi or use a wi-fi only ipad.
Absolutely.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.