.PLST File For Mail

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

.PLST File For Mail

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:58 am

My Mail program is acting stupid again and I'd like to delete the .plst file and start over with setting the Preferences. But I'll be darned if I can find the .plst file for Mail. Does anyone know what folder it's in?

I'm using OS 10.11.3.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: .PLST File For Mail

Post by rickj » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:24 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:My Mail program is acting stupid again and I'd like to delete the .plst file and start over with setting the Preferences. But I'll be darned if I can find the .plst file for Mail. Does anyone know what folder it's in?

I'm using OS 10.11.3.
Try username/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences. There doesn't seem to be one in the regular Preferences folder any more.
Rick

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:37 pm

rickj wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:My Mail program is acting stupid again and I'd like to delete the .plst file and start over with setting the Preferences. But I'll be darned if I can find the .plst file for Mail. Does anyone know what folder it's in?

I'm using OS 10.11.3.
Try username/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences. There doesn't seem to be one in the regular Preferences folder any more.
My username is Skippy. Under Skippy there is no Library folder. And under Macintosh HD/Library there is no Containers folder. What now?

Perhaps I should mention that the problem is I go to Mail/Preferences to select Mail as my default email application and it won't stick. It keeps going back to another email application. I thought if I deleted the .plst file for Mail I could start from scratch so to speak.
Attachments
capture09.jpg
capture09.jpg (71.7 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
---

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:31 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:
rickj wrote:

I'm using OS 10.11.3.
My username is Skippy. Under Skippy there is no Library folder. And under Macintosh HD/Library there is no Containers folder. What now?

Perhaps I should mention that the problem is I go to Mail/Preferences to select Mail as my default email application and it won't stick. It keeps going back to another email application. I thought if I deleted the .plst file for Mail I could start from scratch so to speak.
In the last few versions of OS X, the user Library folder is hidden. To get to it, go to the Finder, hold down the OPTION key and click on the Go Menu. You'll see Library about half way down. I use the User Library often enough that I have it in my sidebar so I don't always have to use the Go Menu.
Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 9.27.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 9.27.13 PM.png (142.14 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Rick

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:45 pm

Wow, I NEVER would have found it there. OK, now that I get to the Preferences folder I have like a gazillion files. So which one(s) do I delete or do I delete the entire folder? Deleting the folder sounds a little scary.
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:55 am

Apple Support now has a Twitter account where you can ask questions.

I asked: @AppleSupport How do I delete plist file for Apple Mail in Capitan?
Their response:
@ClineNorthwest We don't recommend doing that, as it can cause further issues. DM us with more info about what's going on. We want to help.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:17 am

Jay Cline wrote:Apple Support now has a Twitter account where you can ask questions.

I asked: @AppleSupport How do I delete plist file for Apple Mail in Capitan?
Their response:
@ClineNorthwest We don't recommend doing that, as it can cause further issues. DM us with more info about what's going on. We want to help.
I don't twit. All the social media are tools of the Lord of the Flies. :twisted:
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Coincidentally @LordoftheFlies has a Twitter account. The account hasn't sent a tweet since 2008 tho.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:58 pm

rickj wrote: Try username/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences. There doesn't seem to be one in the regular Preferences folder any more.
OK, I girded my loins and decided to delete the entire folder you gave me the path to. I figured I could always replace it. So what happened, you ask? When I opened Mail after deleting the Preferences folder all my preferences were gone as if I'd just opened Mail for the first time. All that is other than the default email program. There was the offending program instead of Mail. I changed it to Mail, closed Mail and when reopening Mail found that the offending program was once again the default.

Then I went to my Trash and clicked the "Put Back" option which did just that.

So deleting the Preferences folder with all those files removed all saved preferences other than the one I wanted to get rid of so I could resent the default email program. Am I going to make an appointment at the Tacoma Apple Store to have someone at the Genius Bar fix things for me? No. That's a long drive.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:19 pm

So this is the same problem where you tried out another app Airmail and it got stuck as the default Mail program?
Did you ever find a way to change the default in that other app Airmail?

Here's a developer forum that speaks of this issue. The solution was to clear Launch Services. That means you'll have to reset any apps you've chosen to replace the default app for opening file types. https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/14502

The Airmail site has a link to this dev post.

Here's a blog post with another solution: sign out of iCloud, change default in Mail, sign back into iCloud. Sounds benign.
https://nickjvturner.wordpress.com/2015 ... il-client/
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs